PDA

View Full Version : Boot problems

Jobbe
09-05-2003, 06:14 AM
First a dumb question: burning the iso with nero, on a window there's the cascade menù where to choose to burn "Track at once" or "Disk at once" and another option, which one is good?
Second, I created a floppy, place the cdrom and at boot I tried simply pressing enter or, for example knoppix =us, but it didn't boot; I think the problem can be I have a scsi cdrom? The cdrom is a toshiba, the burner is a scsi too (teac) and the controller is an adaptec

Thanks a lot in advance

Cronos55
09-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Hey there, first if you use nero to burn ISO like with 5.5, it will run you through wizards the ask "Complie New CD" yes, hit next, three choices "Audio CE, Data CD, or Other CD Format" chose other CD format hit next, chose "Creat CD from image" hit next then finish. It wil ask burning options, you chose. This should creat a Bootabe CD. Also you should check to see if you have a clean ISO b4 you burn it, here's something you can tryhttp://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3567#16624. It shouldn't matter which drive you. Can you boot from CD?

Jobbe
09-05-2003, 06:31 PM
I used nero 5.5.10.7 but as suggested on another place I just click on File->write image and a window pop up, here is hwre I saw that option on a cascade menù, you can choose between:
Track at once
Disc at once
Disc at once/96
The default is track at once and I left as it was; the cd has been created successfully, I checked checksum md5 with Toast442 and I hade my green circle which means the iso image is fine. I created a boot floppy with mkflopppy.bat; insert floppy, insert cd but it does not want to run even with cheatcodes and that's why I thought the problem should be my scsi cdrom which I think it's not bootable

Thanks a lot for your reply

Dave_Bechtel
09-06-2003, 01:27 AM
--Try putting the scsi cdrom as ID 0. (Of course the power should be off when you do this!!) Also if your scsi card has a BIOS (Adaptec cards have Ctrl-A at boot) make sure it's supporting boot. Some/most cheap SCSI cards don't support booting.

--If nothing works, search the board for "Poor man's install" where you copy the knoppix/knoppix file to your HD. You just need ~700MB free space and a non-NTFS partition.

I used nero 5.5.10.7 but as suggested on another place I just click on File->write image and a window pop up, here is hwre I saw that option on a cascade menù, you can choose between:
Track at once
Disc at once
Disc at once/96
The default is track at once and I left as it was; the cd has been created successfully, I checked checksum md5 with Toast442 and I hade my green circle which means the iso image is fine. I created a boot floppy with mkflopppy.bat; insert floppy, insert cd but it does not want to run even with cheatcodes and that's why I thought the problem should be my scsi cdrom which I think it's not bootable

Thanks a lot for your reply