PDA

View Full Version : Cant get Falkin's Eye to run after I installed Knoppix

Dr Snark
09-05-2003, 12:17 PM
Seeing that no one wanted to help me, i's ask again...

Falkin's eye became my favorite game for some reason and I Can't get it to run after I Installed Knoppix.

it goes to the first screen then it quits.

Dave_Bechtel
09-06-2003, 01:23 AM
--Did you do apt-get update; apt-get upgrade?

If so: Find out what the previous version of the game was on the CD (here, I got it from the 7-26 cd for you), and ' apt-get install falconseye=1.9.3-12 falconseye-data=1.9.3-12 '

--If not, try the upgrade and see if the pkg gets updated.

Last resort: Try ' apt-get install falconseye/unstable '

REALLY last resort: Try ' apt-get install falconseye/stable '. Altho the pkg will go to the next rev when you do upgrade again, unless you put a Hold on it in aptitude or synaptic.

Falkin's eye became my favorite game for some reason and I Can't get it to run after I Installed Knoppix.

Dave_Bechtel
09-06-2003, 11:31 AM
--New Knoppix 2003-09-05 is now out there; pick up the ISO and give it a try. Falconseye is the same version as 7-26 but maybe it will run.

--Did you do apt-get update; apt-get upgrade?

If so: Find out what the previous version of the game was on the CD (here, I got it from the 7-26 cd for you), and ' apt-get install falconseye=1.9.3-12 falconseye-data=1.9.3-12 '

--If not, try the upgrade and see if the pkg gets updated.

Last resort: Try ' apt-get install falconseye/unstable '

REALLY last resort: Try ' apt-get install falconseye/stable '. Altho the pkg will go to the next rev when you do upgrade again, unless you put a Hold on it in aptitude or synaptic.

Superstoned
09-06-2003, 09:41 PM
try running it from a console, and check the errors... maybe then you'll see what's wrong!

Dr Snark
09-07-2003, 07:55 PM
Numbefr one: I Can't get online woth Knoppix. I;ve searched Every linux modem sites page. everything. I can't Afford $99 bucks for an external modem.

and ive tried the commands and NOTHING

and I'm thinking of going to Mandrake 9.1. maybe the modems are eaiser to install
so I have to get online in Windows.

Dave_Bechtel
09-07-2003, 08:30 PM
--I found a cheapie for you; can you afford $30? 56K serial external Intel-chipset faxmodem, +shipping.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=676746/search=external%2520modem/ut=4417b2f659028641

(google is your friend; this modem even mentions Linux in the "Read more" tech specs)

--Plus if you do invest in an external, you are pretty much guaranteed to get it working with *any* linux computer that has a serial port, and thus can be used in the future on other boxes. Even tho I have DSL, I invested in an external 56K JIC, in case I need it down the road.

--Also, I'm thinking it could be a memory problem for Falconseye. Try using a more lightweight WM like icewm instead of KDE (especially if you only have 64-128Meg of RAM) and run the game from rxvt (lightweight terminal.) I usually just type ' falc' and hit Tab to let bash complete the filename.

--Now, if you've read this far and moaned to yourself, "I just CAN'T afford 30-40 bucks for a bloody modem!" see this thread:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2050#10274

--Then when you get the $$, go and buy a/the modem. I guarantee you will get better thruput and less CPU usage with a true hardware modem. :) (Personally, I got so frustrated with the crappy winmodem on my mobo dropping the connection alla time that I jerked it out of the slot and threw it away.)

Numbefr one: I Can't get online woth Knoppix. I;ve searched Every linux modem sites page. everything. I can't Afford $99 bucks for an external modem.

and ive tried the commands and NOTHING

and I'm thinking of going to Mandrake 9.1. maybe the modems are eaiser to install
so I have to get online in Windows.

Dr Snark
09-08-2003, 12:27 AM
Thank You, Dave

I will look into that modem

and i Ran it from the Console and it wored, but i guess i can't get MIDI, Knopix Won't configure my sound card, nor will it work with my Video card, nor with my web cam, i have to use VESA for the video and ALSA for the Audio, I wish someone out there would make some DRIVERS for my hardware

Dave_Bechtel
09-08-2003, 08:13 AM
--If you could post some details about your hardware, maybe others could help as well. In the meantime, here are some webcam-ish packages for you to check out:

' apt-cache search cam|grep web '
came - Rewrite of the xawtv webcam app using imlib2
camserv - Stream live video out onto the web
camstream - collection of tools for webcams and other video-devices
ocamlweb - Literate programming tool for Objective Caml
ov511-source - Driver source for the OV511, a USB-only chip used in many webcams.
webcamd - Capture images from video devices
webcam - capture and upload images

Thank You, Dave

I will look into that modem

and i Ran it from the Console and it wored, but i guess i can't get MIDI, Knopix Won't configure my sound card, nor will it work with my Video card, nor with my web cam, i have to use VESA for the video and ALSA for the Audio, I wish someone out there would make some DRIVERS for my hardware