PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Knoppix Terminal Server question.

jcchains
09-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Hi All,
I have a newbie question about Knoppix terminal services. Is there a way to have a Windows 98 machine connect to the Knoppix terminal server and run a session ? Is there some type of client software that can be used ? I more familar with Windows 2000 Terminal servers. Thanks for your time. :)

aay
09-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Hi All,
I have a newbie question about Knoppix terminal services. Is there a way to have a Windows 98 machine connect to the Knoppix terminal server and run a session ? Is there some type of client software that can be used ? I more familar with Windows 2000 Terminal servers. Thanks for your time. :)

Hmm. I would suggest using either VNC or installing cigwin and then logging into your knoppix box with ssh and forwarding X over to the win 98 box.

P.S. Sorry but we don't allow cross posting in the forums. I deleted the other post. It's best to take up the discussion here.

A. Jorge Garcia
10-27-2003, 11:36 PM
Is there a way to get termnal server working with the HDD install, or does it only work from the CD?

Disgruntled,

aay
10-28-2003, 12:56 AM
Is there a way to get termnal server working with the HDD install, or does it only work from the CD?

Disgruntled,

Yikes. You posted on this issue a lot. Did you read the response I gave you over here:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1502&start=45

That needs to be dealt with.

A. Jorge Garcia
10-28-2003, 01:30 AM
Yes, I just can't believe it! I was setting up a server at school just for this purpose. What good is it to use PXE to connect to a CD?

Sorry I got carried away....

Arrggghhhh,

aay
10-28-2003, 06:20 AM
Yes, I just can't believe it! I was setting up a server at school just for this purpose. What good is it to use PXE to connect to a CD?

Sorry I got carried away....

Arrggghhhh,

I agree it's frustrating. Maybe just try installing LTSP (http://ltsp.org) itself. haven't used it myself, but it seems to have good documentation. Just an option anyway.

A. Jorge Garcia
10-29-2003, 01:19 AM
Thanx, I think I'll do just that!

Regards,

Air-Op
11-03-2003, 06:16 AM
Ghezz...

if all you wan't is X forwarding just use X..

on win98 etc
get cygwin www.cygwin.com

and install the X packages
(it seems like the installer hangs if you click on the X section ... but it doesn't... just wait for a while (10 min on slower boxes!)

then
turn on xforwarding... on the server
(I think the command is something like xhost +ipaddress or range)

then on the computer you are using as a terminal type something like:
X --query ipaddress of host

www.subverted.net/wakka
and search for x forwarding... Or... goto google and type X forwarding in...

I think Knoppix uses LTSP to serve the images that it shares... and then nfs mounts the cd-rom

It's usefull for rescuing an entire computer lab in a pinch... geez..