PDA

View Full Version : emKnoppix

raj2569
09-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi all,

For some time I have been working on a pet project of mine, enabling Knoppix to run on small embedded devices. Today I am happy to release it to the world. Find it at http://emknoppix.sarovar.org

The work is far from complete, though it is in a usable state. Please go through it and send in your comments/criticisms.

regards,
raj

eadz
09-06-2003, 01:35 AM
Hi,
What kind of embedded devices? Do you have any links to any hardware that this will run on?

raj2569
09-06-2003, 07:43 AM
I am now testing it on a box with NatSemi Geode based processor, with a 96 MB Disk-On-Module and 64 MB ram from Lanner (http://www.lannerinc.com/products/ViewProduct.asp?view=200) . I have not tried it on any non x86 processor. This will work on older PCs also.

raj

garyng
09-06-2003, 12:34 PM
I am doing similar things but decided to start from debootstrap woody instead of KNOPPIX as it would be much more difficult(for me) to remove things from KNOPPIX than add things to woody. Beside, it seems that the overall binary size from sid/sarge are bigger than woody(could be the compiler used).

I have managed to sqeeze a bareX with quite some server modules within 300M(uncompressed) and a base woody system within 150M or a KDE 3.1.3 based system within 400M.

raj2569
09-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Actually I can also start from debbootstrap, I am not using KNOPPIX debs, just the basic idea that a full filesystem can remain compressed in one file (KNOPPIX) I started from las knoppix and removed stuff till I was satisfied, and then deleted /usr/srd, /usr/doc etc before building image.

raj

garyng
09-06-2003, 02:29 PM
hear, hear :)

we are approaching the goal through different means, that is the beauty of linux. I am not at the stage of compressing yet(or the all famous hardware detection of KNOPPIX, using discover instead), still cherry picking what packages to include at what stage and how to apt-get from one stage to another. But everything is on a loopbacked file(read only) like KNOPPIX.