PDA

View Full Version : New version 2003-09-05

jaws75
09-06-2003, 02:16 AM
Am i the only one to find this so far?
You guys are slacking off.

ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-09-05-EN.iso

:D

jaws75
09-06-2003, 02:28 AM
Also available on other servers. No need to bog down the one.
Happy downloading!

Stephen
09-06-2003, 02:55 AM
Am i the only one to find this so far?
You guys are slacking off.

I have moved the post to the News section where this usually goes enjoy everybody.

Change Log:

* V3.2-2003-09-05 (experimental 3.3 prerelease)
- Kernel 2.4.22 with xfs and HIGHMEN (4GB) support
- cloop 1.02 (block layer rewrite)
- katomic reinstalled (got lost somehow in the past release)
- Unofficial new development boot options for testing: toram, tohd=hda1
(copy CD to ram/HD and run from there)
- wipe (though it's useless. ;-)
- pon gprs option for GPRS internet access

aay
09-06-2003, 02:57 AM
Good find.

Here are the details on the new release.

* V3.2-2003-09-05 (experimental 3.3 prerelease)
- Kernel 2.4.22 with xfs and HIGHMEN (4GB) support
- cloop 1.02 (block layer rewrite)
- katomic reinstalled (got lost somehow in the past release)
- Unofficial new development boot options for testing: toram, tohd=hda1
(copy CD to ram/HD and run from there)
- wipe (though it's useless. ;-)
- pon gprs option for GPRS internet access

MattT
09-06-2003, 04:04 AM
experimental 3.3 prerelease
Here we go again. Seems like people were just getting over the switch from 3.1 to 3.2 not too long ago.

cloop 1.02 (block layer rewrite)
Could someone please explain what this means to average Knoppix user.

bongski55
09-06-2003, 06:09 AM
Also available on other servers. No need to bog down the one.
Happy downloading!

Still not on the ibiblio.org server

IP
09-06-2003, 10:39 AM
What is better for a hdd install, 3.2-2003-09-05-EN.iso or 3.2-2003-07-26-EN.iso???

thanks!

runnersam
09-06-2003, 10:58 AM
The latest version dated 2003-9-5-EN cannot boot up after the intro screen (which can input the cheat code).

For your information.

A. Jorge Garcia
09-06-2003, 01:56 PM
OK, I downloaded 20030905 because I really wanted to try the new toram cheat to speed things up. I just burned and booted the new CD and find it slow booting and sluggish to use. Am I just spoiled with my hdinstall? Anyone else find this CD slow? I haven't tried toram yet as my home PC doesn't have enough ram, but my PCs at school do!

TIA,

aay
09-06-2003, 02:24 PM
What is better for a hdd install, 3.2-2003-09-05-EN.iso or 3.2-2003-07-26-EN.iso???

thanks!

Well when Klaus makes a new release he will often tweak things and make more releases within a few days. Since this is "experimental", I would expect to see some more releases within the next few days.

garyng
09-06-2003, 03:26 PM
experimental 3.3 prerelease
Here we go again. Seems like people were just getting over the switch from 3.1 to 3.2 not too long ago.

cloop 1.02 (block layer rewrite)
Could someone please explain what this means to average Knoppix user.

I hope the rewrite would allow KNOPPIX on NTFS as well as preparing for the 2.6 kernel and solving a reported problem with 2.4.22 kernel(seems to be so as it is included in the new build). This would be the one must have enhancement if that is what I expected.

Superstoned
09-06-2003, 09:03 PM
Is KDE 3.1.3 included? And other packageupdates?

asjones
09-07-2003, 01:12 AM
garyng,

There may be some confusion. According to http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ Linux still does not fully support NTFS writing. 2.5.x and 2.6 will have better read support, but still have limited write support (same file, not file size changes)

I think to improve NTFS support we needto help out http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

garyng
09-07-2003, 02:07 AM
garyng,

There may be some confusion. According to http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ Linux still does not fully support NTFS writing. 2.5.x and 2.6 will have better read support, but still have limited write support (same file, not file size changes)

I think to improve NTFS support we needto help out http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/
I didn't mean write support but able to put KNOPPIX(the big cloop file) on a NTFS partition. Right now, it is not possible(at least for me) using the stock driver as either it segment fault when insmod cloop.o file=/mnt/NTFS/KNOPPIX or stall later when accessed. This seems to be related to how the block reading code in cloop.

A. Jorge Garcia
09-07-2003, 03:47 AM
Why not get rid of NTFS all together! Wipe all your drives of this scourge on the world of personal computing!! Let us remove this god forsaken M$ WINDOZE virus from all PCs within our reach, say I!!!

Baring that, just reinstall on VFAT32...

Revolting,

raid517
09-07-2003, 04:17 AM
Na NTFS is cool, it's Windows that's crap. Don't confuse the two.

Q

garyng
09-07-2003, 06:36 AM
Why not get rid of NTFS all together! Wipe all your drives of this scourge on the world of personal computing!! Let us remove this god forsaken M$ WINDOZE virus from all PCs within our reach, say I!!!

Revolting,

On many machine(new especially), NTFS is the only fs that comes installed with XP and takes up the whole HD. Removing it means XP would be gone which is too radical a change for many people. I am pretty happy with the poorman's install way of running KNOPPIX/linux and it is a much better way to have linux to be having a chance on average desktop. Of course, I always have a large enough FAT32 as C: which is a rule I set to myself dated back from my old days of running OS/2, NT, 95/3.1 all on the same machine. I agree with you though that FAT is a must have on any HD.

Cypherz
09-08-2003, 03:52 PM

Revolting,

On many machine(new especially), NTFS is the only fs that comes installed with XP and takes up the whole HD. Removing it means XP would be gone which is too radical a change for many people. I am pretty happy with the poorman's install way of running KNOPPIX/linux and it is a much better way to have linux to be having a chance on average desktop. Of course, I always have a large enough FAT32 as C: which is a rule I set to myself dated back from my old days of running OS/2, NT, 95/3.1 all on the same machine. I agree with you though that FAT is a must have on any HD.

Well actually...You can use Partion Magic (such a wonderful Utility) to Resize that partion in XP so you could shrink your main partition. Then add another with the left over space or let the knoppix installer do it.
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/pmdetails.cfm
~y $0.02

garyng
09-08-2003, 04:40 PM
Well actually...You can use Partion Magic (such a wonderful Utility) to Resize that partion in XP so you could shrink your main partition. Then add another with the left over space or let the knoppix installer do it.
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/pmdetails.cfm
~y $0.02

Well because I am in the process of switching to free as freedom as well as free lunch, buying something else(XP usually comes with the machine, which is not a negociable item) is against this :)

qtparted is supposed to be able to do the same, btw.

A. Jorge Garcia
09-08-2003, 10:25 PM
OK, I downloaded 20030905 because I really wanted to try the new toram cheat to speed things up. I just burned and booted the new CD and find it slow booting and sluggish to use. Am I just spoiled with my hdinstall? Anyone else find this CD slow? I haven't tried toram yet as my home PC doesn't have enough ram, but my PCs at school do!

I guess I was spoiled, this CD works great in my lab! I just used it to do a Poor Man Dual Boot and, Houston, we've got sound!! Alleluia!!!

Regards,

edwardam
09-09-2003, 08:06 AM
Torrent:
http://www.interlix.com/torrents/KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-09-05-EN.iso.torrent

Tracker:
http://www.interlix.com:6969/

P.S. I'll try to keep the torrent going as long as possible. The tracker is mine, email me if it isn't working. Please seed if you can.

j.drake
09-09-2003, 03:37 PM
Another problem with FAT32 on an XP box, is that XP has a maximum size of 32 MB for FAT32 partitions, which is generally much smaller than the size of the drive on newer machines, and the maximum file size is 4 gig. OK, so you say partition it. But the problem there is that many of us with XP computers are using them for such things as video editing, and burning DVDs of home movies. One video capture file for burning a DVD can be about 25 gig, with another 20-25 gig needed for the AVI file, before you're ready to start converting to MPEG and burning DVDs. For that kind of storage real estate, a bunch of chunked-up FAT32 partitions won't cut it, and the files are too big to be saved in FAT32 (again, for WinXP). There is a very real, and very legitimate need for XP users to use NTFS, and this is only one example.

Sure, it's an MS WinXP problem, but if your video editing and burning software are Windows applications, then you have to live within those limitations. With drives getting bigger and files getting bigger, it's a problem that won't go away. If Linux wants to win converts from XP users, it had better find a way to deal with NTFS, because yammering on about how much better FAT32 is than NTFS (and I'm still not convinced of this, BTW - I see the inability of Linux to deal with NTFS as a Linux problem, not an NTFS problem, IMNSHO) won't make the sale.

Superstoned
09-09-2003, 04:28 PM
ehm... how to use bittorrent in linux? I installed the package, but cant finde an executable and it doesnt work in Konqueror...

Superstoned
09-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Of course the ntfs-thingie is an Linuxproblem, its just (intentionally) created by m$. And they wont help the linux-community making a good ntfs-reading/writing kernel. I guess, as soon as linux fully works with NTFS they will introduce NTFS2 or whatever... So we have to find out how THAT works... Poor basterds, they'll loose anyway - everybody's gonna hate them more and more...

wangji
09-09-2003, 05:44 PM
bonus with cloop1.0.2 now allows mounting 3 more compressed_image
with the cloop.o inserted !!!!

This solves the use cloop-mini1 ...to cloop-mini3 in morphix mini_module_stuff

A. Jorge Garcia
09-09-2003, 08:18 PM
The way to win converts is to show users of such huge drives and huge files that there' s Linux alternatives apps that are as good or even better than those on WINXP and run them on native Linux file systems, IMHO.

Regards,

j.drake
09-09-2003, 09:29 PM
What Linux app can I use to capture and edit video from my camcorder over an IEEE1394 connection, convert to MPEG and burn to DVD+R? I'd be glad to hear of one if it exists, especially if it's better, because Studio 8 cost me abt $100, even with rebates.

My point, though, is that there are legitimately WinXP users who cannot use FAT32 - it's not an option, and Linux is going to have to adapt to NTFS for those of us in that boat. BTW, Superstoned is absolutely right that MS is expected to change the filesystem again with the Longhorn release, so the benefit of accommodating NTFS may be short-lived. The good news, though is that it's MS, so they keep pushing the release date farther and farther back. :wink:

aay
09-09-2003, 10:03 PM
What Linux app can I use to capture and edit video from my camcorder over an IEEE1394 connection, convert to MPEG and burn to DVD+R? I'd be glad to hear of one if it exists, especially if it's better, because Studio 8 cost me abt $100, even with rebates.

My point, though, is that there are legitimately WinXP users who cannot use FAT32 - it's not an option, and Linux is going to have to adapt to NTFS for those of us in that boat. BTW, Superstoned is absolutely right that MS is expected to change the filesystem again with the Longhorn release, so the benefit of accommodating NTFS may be short-lived. The good news, though is that it's MS, so they keep pushing the release date farther and farther back. :wink:

A lot of people think that Longhorn will use a new file system, but that's really incorrect. It will use NTFS. The only difference will be that Longhorn will use WFS (Windows Future Storage). WFS is a database service that runs on top of and requires NTFS and that supposedly improves file searching and navigation.

SUOrangeman
09-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Another problem with FAT32 on an XP box, is that XP has a maximum size of 32 MB for FAT32 partitions, ...

A minor point, but Microsoft hard-coded Win2K and WinXP to not allow you to *create* FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB. These OSes have no problem using larger FAT32 partitions. You just have to create them with another OS or third-party tools.

-SUO

softgun
09-10-2003, 03:28 AM
Hi all Knoppix users!

Imagine booting up the KNOPPIX CD, writing a document, saving it to your home directory or downloading stuff to your home directory, right click the file and click "write to CD" from the list that appears and everything is written to the CDRW media using Linux_UDF :o

j.drake
09-10-2003, 04:46 AM
Another problem with FAT32 on an XP box, is that XP has a maximum size of 32 MB for FAT32 partitions, ...

A minor point, but Microsoft hard-coded Win2K and WinXP to not allow you to *create* FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB. These OSes have no problem using larger FAT32 partitions. You just have to create them with another OS or third-party tools.

-SUO

Interesting. But don't you still have the 4 gig file size limit?

Superstoned
09-10-2003, 04:54 PM
there's no space left on the cd ;-)

but if there was, I think it whould be very hard to make it possible, if it whould ever happen. You can just save your homedir to a hd or disk or whatever (removable) media...

A. Jorge Garcia
09-11-2003, 12:06 AM
What is Linux_UDF? Is there some way to make a CDRW behave just like a floppy, only huge?

Regards,

garyng
09-11-2003, 12:50 AM
Hi all Knoppix users!

Imagine booting up the KNOPPIX CD, writing a document, saving it to your home directory or downloading stuff to your home directory, right click the file and click "write to CD" from the list that appears and everything is written to the CDRW media using Linux_UDF :o

No thank you. My experience tells me that CDRW is not a very reliable material used in this way. I keep these things to CF, there are a lot of cheap thumb drive and/or MP3 players that can serve this purpose.

Superstoned
09-12-2003, 10:42 AM
hi! anyone else having problems burning the image on cd? I tried k3b, which gave no errors, but the cd is unreadable. then tried nero, which told me he was unable to perform the end-of-disc... seems like the iso is too big. In both cases I tried to burn on a cd-rw (700mb).
and stupid question - 700 mb = 80min? or should I burn on a (non-RW) 80min cd and have no problems? I dont like to try, cuz these cd's can only be used once ;-)

Henk Poley
09-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Previouse versions have worked on 80min/700MB CD-RWs for me.

Have you tried a full wipe? You will need to do that now and then to flatten out the dips and bumps made by several times rewriting. Yes it takes some time.

btw, k3b doesn't do a full wipe when I tell it to, on my system. I need to use cdrecord then.

j.drake
09-12-2003, 07:44 PM
hi! anyone else having problems burning the image on cd? I tried k3b, which gave no errors, but the cd is unreadable. then tried nero, which told me he was unable to perform the end-of-disc... seems like the iso is too big. In both cases I tried to burn on a cd-rw (700mb).
and stupid question - 700 mb = 80min? or should I burn on a (non-RW) 80min cd and have no problems? I dont like to try, cuz these cd's can only be used once ;-)

I had zero success with CD-RW, and had to abandon them in favor of CD-R. And the CD-R didn't work until I downloaded Nero.

A. Jorge Garcia
09-12-2003, 07:59 PM
Let me second that! I've never gotten my CD-RW to make a KNOPPIX CD except on CD-R disks!! I've used Easy CD Recorder and cdrecord....

Regards,

Superstoned
09-13-2003, 08:08 PM
So I guess I have to use winblows to burn it on a cd-R... pitty... Trying to get rid of it. I'll try it on a cd-R in k3b, then (if it doesnt work) in nero, and if that does work, I'll file a bugreport to k3b!!!

btw KDE-team has fixed something for me, already, in just a few hours - they can be damn fast... I tried to drag a window when switching desktop (ctrl-tab on my box) but that didnt work. I guess it should, cuz alt-tab when dragging files does work. So I filed a bugreport, and in just a few hours it was fixed. Can't wait for 3.1.4 ;-)

cu

Arthas
09-16-2003, 04:25 PM
Hi people

I have the same problem with the iso image i downloaded from the official mirrors. De md5-checksum is good but the iso can't be burned on cd by Nero because it detected an error in de image file.

I had some conversation with another forumuser here (Superstoned) and he had the same problem.
Now, when i convert this downloaded iso into a .bin file (just another image format) it DOES work. It can be burned to cd-r or -rw and is bootable like it should be.
To test further i converted this .bin back to .iso format and suddenly there isn't any problem anymore.
So, this means something did go wrong when the official knoppix iso was made. The files therein are ok, but the format to burn in on cd has an flaw.
(For reference, i used WinISO to convert the image to bin and back to iso again).

I wonder why there aren't more complaints yet but I hope this can be checked by official people perhaps?
It would be a pitty when future knoppix users are disappointed by this recent cannot-be-burned image.

greets

Superstoned
09-16-2003, 06:49 PM
welcome, arthas ;)

and tnx for the reply, hope this can be fixed...

btw I downloaded my iso using bittorrent, and checked the md5sum afterwards (after experiencing problems...).

Arthas
09-17-2003, 03:42 PM
thnx superstoned :)

I have experimented some more and i found this weird thing. The md5 of the original KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-09-05-EN.iso downloaded from the mirror ftp://ftp.knoppix.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/knoppix/ checks out allright. Now this is strange because it can't be burned by me and others.

After the little conversion adventure to bin and back to iso i made a new md5 of this newly made iso (i changed ofcourse nothin in the files, only the cd-rom format has been altered) and i found out it is exactly the same as the original iso. But... this time i CAN burn it to cd-r or rw without any problems and everything works fine. :shock:

So dig this: i have here two iso files with the same name and the same md5 and only one of them works fine.
If you get it, I get it :?

Henk Poley
09-17-2003, 04:08 PM
Hehe, it is possible that this is a accidental bitrot (on that server) that matches to the same MD5. It is very unlikely though. I think it has more to do with the ISO file now being cached in RAM, so you won't get buffer-underruns. I know, burn-proof/JustLink/etc. should make bufferunderruns less 'lethal' but still it can be just the bit that takes it.

iggyHack
09-19-2003, 09:26 PM
OK, i'm not stoned, there is an issue with the iso. I'll try the WinISO and see how it reacts. I tried all of the above and still couldn't burn an image :cry:

Zuron007
09-21-2003, 03:23 AM
I also tried to burn the new vesion using the method of converting to bin and then back to iso using winiso but without success. I went out and got myself a cd rw and finally was able to burn the image using nero. Problem is that when i try to boot from the cd knoppix tells me that it cant load the root file system/ directory and once i type "exit" i get a kernel panic. Is this whole version this problematic? Anyways, i am going to try a few more things to see what i can do...anybody who would like to lend a helping hand is very welcome.