PDA

View Full Version : KnoppixQuake - bootable Quake Team Fortress server

knoppixquake
01-21-2003, 10:14 PM
I have completed my first Knoppix remaster, based on someone elses (KnopNL Base). It was a text-only ~70MB remaster. I added in the Quake Mega Team Fortress server code. So you boot into it, and can run your own Quake server. Fun for those who still play this game.

The ISO is 130MB, and you can get it from <a href=http://knoppixquake.webhop.net> knoppixquake.webhop.net </a> - but please note that this is my home machine, and I am moving this weekend (the 25th), so it may be down for a few days around that time.

01-21-2003, 11:20 PM
That is just too cool!

thewretchedbeaver
01-22-2003, 02:35 AM
is it the original quake or quake 3 fortress??

knoppixquake
01-22-2003, 03:22 PM
It is the original Quake Team Fortress (with the Mega mod). I have played newer games like Half-life and Unreal Tournament, but I keep coming back to good ol' TF. You can update the graphics all you want, but the gameplay of the original Quake Team Fortress is just great IMO.

A. Jorge Garcia
01-29-2003, 04:06 PM
OK this sounded cool! So I downloaded the ISO last week and burned a few CDs today. They all boot up fine, then what? How do I set up a network game on my LAN - or is this only setup for play over the internet?

TIA,

knoppixquake
01-30-2003, 04:41 PM
After the CD boots up, you cd into the quake directory. There is a readme in there for more info if you aren't familiar with all of the commands in the server.cfg file.

At boot time you should get assigned an IP address via DHCP. I don't have it display the IP on boot, I should probably do that in the future. You can use the command `ifconfig` to find out your IP address. On the client machine, just type in "connect <ip address>" into the console.

To start the server, cd to /quake (softlink to knoppix/quake/) and type "./startquake" for the quick method, or "cat startquake" to see what it is doing. You should give it the "+gamedir fortress" option to point it to the correct directory where all the maps and stuff are stored.

I tried to put enough info in the readme to answer most questions. I have been thinking about setting up a CD with other game servers, but I have to make sure not to run into any licensing issues. Also, I still play the original Quake Team Fortress, I don't even play Quake II, III, etc.

My DSL connection is getting switched over to my house, so that is why you can't connect to the webpage and get the ISO images right now. It should be active on Feb 3rd though.

A. Jorge Garcia
01-30-2003, 09:39 PM
OK, to get the ip address its "ipconfig," right?

Anyway, once I have that, what do i do with the ip addresses?

Thanx!

knoppixquake
01-30-2003, 11:02 PM
In Linux it is "ifconfig" (if = interface). You should see a listing for your interfaces, eth0 is probably your default network interface (unless you have eth1, eth2, etc set up). Your IP is listed after "inet addr: "

For the server, you don't need to do anything with the IP. The clients on your LAN will need to connect to this IP to play on the server. After starting their clients, they will go to the Quake console and type "connect <IP of server>".

Of course, they won't be able to connect until you start up the server. See my previous post, or the readme in the quake directory for info on that.

bloodmire
01-31-2003, 04:43 PM
was wondering if there are any other dedicated servers that can be released under the same free license without encountering any legal issues. I know that Q3 arena etc need the BSP/PAK files to be copied from the original cd.....which of course cannot be redistributed...
any ideas?

A. Jorge Garcia
02-02-2003, 03:45 AM
Please forgive my extreme denseness, but

HOW DO YOU PLAY THE D**M GAME?????

Sorry for screaming....

Alextreme
02-02-2003, 04:04 AM
Well, it's quake: you point, you click, you frag

:P

A. Jorge Garcia
02-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Yup, I got that part. Look, I haven't played quake but once or twice eons ago on a windoze network.

Now, I burn a few CDs of the KnoppixQuake and boot them up and nothing happens. It looks like the server starts up after booting when I cd quake and then run the script startquake. But then what???

How do you start a network game over a LAN?

Thanx,

WillsterV
02-04-2003, 06:10 PM
Once you have the quake server up and running you go to your other computer that has quake installed on it and and run Quake.

Then you get to the console and type `connect` and you'll be connected to the server.

I think the issue here is that it wasn't mentioned that you need a client (the computer(s) that want to play quake) to connect to the server after it is all up and running.

A. Jorge Garcia
02-04-2003, 11:00 PM
Well, I thought the CD would include the client too. That way, everyone boots up the same CD and one person sets up the game with the server and everyone else connects. That way everything is contained on one CD and you can run a 'LAN party' whenever you want!

I guess I'm spoiled by StarCraft.

Sorry, I thought that was the idea....

Regards,

meeztor
02-07-2003, 05:22 PM
This would be perfect if this could be done with a half-life server running DoD(Day of Defeat).Great for lan parties etc...

How would I go about creating my own version of this???Never done befroe but willing to try...

Unless of course someone else has already done this....???

thanks

bloodmire
02-07-2003, 08:24 PM
Hi, I've gotten done building the ded servers for CS, DOD, Q2 CTF , Q3A and am currently building stuff for SOF2, UT2K etc. However, i tried to remaster the cd once and had some wierd problems (KnoppixQuake (MW) --it was me who emailed you) .
Anyways, if you want to take a crack at this, I would be happy to provide the scripts I'm using....cant provide the WAD files etc .. that might be considered a breach of the licensing agreement.

A. Jorge Garcia
02-15-2003, 03:02 AM
Can anyone recommend a linux quake client to work with this CD?

Can I install it to a ramdisk on the fly without making my own remaster?

Dan_Netwalker
02-19-2003, 12:19 PM
:o Hey, since there are server execs openly available on the inet, why don't someone -with more free time than me...- put them in the knoppix lite CD, and make a simple script or something to tell him where to look for the game files. You place "gaming knoppix" cd in one cd unit, the halflife/quake1|2|3/whatever cd in the other and there you go!

You don't need much of a openoffice or kde3 to make it work (hell, it may use only text mode, or a small icewm or similar instead!) so you can cut down some good MB. If we are lucky enough it may work from a cdrw small 3.5'cd :wink:.

This way, the next lanparty I get I may take my old PII with me and turn it into a "gaming dedicated server box" in two minutes, have some shoots, and when the people gets cooled down take the cd away, place the normal knoppix cd instead and surf the web for half an hour... until another round starts.

A. Jorge Garcia
02-19-2003, 05:38 PM
Well, the KNOPPIXQUAKE ISO is what got me started! I promised my students a LAN Party after their AP Computer Science exam in May. Now I'm stuck without a client!

I'm thinking of using the Morphix gamemod CD with Doom instead....

Anyway, I want my students to USE Linux for work AND play!

knoppixquake
02-19-2003, 09:20 PM
I am working on the client version.
I always thought the hard part was getting the server running, so that is what I tackled first. To be honest, the Linux Quake client isn't that great IMO. Also, this CD boots into text mode, there is no Xwindows on it. Therefore, having the Linux client on there wouldn't be very helpful.

What I am trying to do now is to have the CD boot up running an ftp server and contain the Windows and Linux clients. Then you could boot up one server and have everyone download the clients from it. You don't even really need to "install" the client on Windows, you can just unzip it to a directory and play it from there. But I understand that it is more obtrusive than booting and running it from a CD.

Mabye I'll add Xwindows back in so that you could use the same CD for everyone. But then you would be limited to using the Linux client, which I don't really care for.

I am also checking into what other servers/clients could be included on the CD. If anyone has any good suggestions (and tarballs of working servers would be helpful) just drop me a line: superflytnt@REMOVETHISearthlink.net

Alextreme
02-19-2003, 09:32 PM
I'm including the q3a and ut multiplayer demo's in the next gamemodule-release (hopefully tomorrow, else the day after). Throw in a few loki-demo's and it'll get quite bloated, but should serve as a nice way to waste some time :D

Don't know however if the demos also include multiplayer servers, then again i have still to fix the nvidia driver-option too so it would actually be useful to include...

Having the clients in a local repository is a nice idea, personally i think some opensource multiplayer games are great too (freeciv, *tron, xshipwars) but i don't know how cross-platform they are...

A. Jorge Garcia
02-19-2003, 10:19 PM
Well, we can't install anything in the lab we use, that's why we're using the KNOPPIX CD. So PLEASE, no M$ WINDOZE stuff!!!

Making one CD with the server and client and ftp is a great idea. Then people with a regular KNOPPIX CD can simply download the client to the ramdisk and run it from there, right?

Alex, your next gamemod with Q3 and UT sounds fantastic!

My students are dying for some kind of a decent multiplayer LAN Party! So bring it on!!

Yes, I'm a professor now, but I was a GameMaster first.... 8)

Dan_Netwalker
02-21-2003, 09:23 PM
The tricky part is we can't put the client of all the games desired in the CD whitough breaking some laws (this would be piracy software, isn't it? isn't it?), but quake and quake2 are already on the opensource (cough, cough) so we can put them on the CD. Since this is the first try I think the idea of putting the client too wasn't expected, since you need the game files and those aren't on the free domain.

The trully good idea whould be putting the servers AND the client, with Xfree and a *minimun* GUI, so the clients could be launched. This way, you boot the cd, get the game files (maps, textures,...) from somewere else and get the server or the client up and running. It may be possible to include in the CD abuse, doom 1&2, Heretic, Hexen, Quake1&2 as client and server, and HL (all mods included, CStrike too ;)), and others as server only. There are some opensource multiplayer games arround that would fit the CD perfectly, too. I'm sure there are lots of clients more for other actual games, the problem may be to put the CD to detect 3d cards and get them to work with the clients.

And please, please, P.L.E.A.S.E., put the url on a new thread easilly visible when you get the iso ready to download because I really want to test it, and some friends of mine too. Oldskool Quake LAN party in the free time between classes, withought installing anything... :D

Alextreme
02-21-2003, 09:40 PM
Well, about the legal issue: using demo's isn't illegal imho, and my game-module uses demo's :D. It would be piracy to include the complete version, then again loading X00MB of data would be a bit rough on the loadtime and RAM requirements.

This has actually been done some time ago, however! the gentoo-team built a liveCD with the ut2003 demo on it last year, was a nice test but the project has all but died. They DID however show that liveCD-gaming is really possible, too bad they didn't work it out more though...

the demo's have a built-in server, but the current gamemodule is more or less client-only (with icewm and XFree, did you take a look at it? ;)) Getting the commercial add-on's would be do-able, but messy (i'm a purist, everything should work out-of-the-box :D). Detecting 3D videocards is pretty reasonable for DRI-supported cards now, working on an nvidia-mod but this is taking more time than i thought.

And all iso's for morphix can be downloaded @ ftp://dl.xs4all.nl/pub/mirror/drupal/Morphix 3D gaming is broken, but i'm taking my time to fix all bugs in the new version. hoped to upload it today, but more realistic will be somewhere next week. OldSkool liveCD Quaking will rock... soon 8)

god
02-22-2003, 12:28 AM
i have noticed that some of you have CS server isos.... can i manager to get one from somebody?

A. Jorge Garcia
02-22-2003, 04:20 AM
I just looked up the gentoo ut2003 iso at

http://www.gentoo.org/news/20020922-ut2k3.xml

but I can't download the file

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/1.4_rc1/x86/livecd-ut2003-i586-1.4.1.iso

are these files still hosted?

Regards,

bloodmire
02-27-2003, 03:11 PM
Completed these ded servers. Let me know where i can post the tar balls. Of course I will have to remove the licensed PAK / WAD files and you will have to add your own.

bloodmire
03-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Knoppixquake et al. I have completed a new build of a dedicated CS / Day of Defeat server. This includes custom cs maps downloaded from www.cs-maps.co.uk. The server is looking good but the tarball (compressed) is about 475MB. I have not mastered a cd before, so I'm asking this...can it be fitted into the morphix cd

god
03-03-2003, 03:59 PM
bloodmire, let me know when this is running.. I want to get my hands on a bootable server for CS, and UT2k3, but I dont know how to remaster...

Alextreme
03-03-2003, 08:20 PM
hey bloodmire, see if you can send me some more details (or, even better, put up the tarball so i can download it). I'll see if i can throw it in a minimodule (don't worry, i'll make a standalone iso, saw that people were worried about the complexity of morphix ;))

This could be a good test of how flexible morphix really has gotten, so i don't mind giving it a try and putting some time in it. However, i'm no CS-er, so you'll all have to check out how good it works :D

I might have to slim down a tad on the maps so that it can be included with light, or i could try out a CS-server only iso without any GUI stuff. You make the call, i'll check out if it'll work ;)

bloodmire
03-04-2003, 01:10 PM
hey alex, i have been in contact with Knoppixquake also for the same. The HL/CS/DOD servers are pretty easy to run. There is no installation required. All you have to do is extract the files to a specified directory and give execution access to the 4-5 shell scripts that execute the server (i have tested these thoroughly). The beauty is that since each server listens on a separate port, it is possible through "nohup" to host up to 4 simultaneous ded servers on the machine (memory/cpu/bandwidth permitting)
please let me know where i can upload these files. my id on hotmail and Yahoo is : bloodmire . Mail me at yahoo with the details.

Bottom line is that the tarball.Z file is 480MB in size, so you will have to use the mini version (probably command line only) to customize morphix :D.

Either way, let me know where I can post the tarball .

Note that I have already finished off Q2, Q3 (still have to add Urban Terror and OSP). But I wont be releasing these because they use the base pak files from the original CD. Obviously this means that its in violation of the licensing agreement to distribute these freely (unless we distribute the server and make ppl copy the required files after installtion).

I will be working on a UT2k3 version of the ded server if time permits this week.
Any requests for ded servers? Let me know. I'm sure I can work with Knoppixquake and Alextreme to help release stuff for gaming / lan parties.

Also, im not sure what the WineX licensing is for redistribution, but I think you can download the source code and compile it for distro. If thats possible, it would be great to allow users to run winblow$ games on their Linux box :D

Jolli
03-04-2003, 06:02 PM
Hi,

i downloaded the iso and get the server running.
But i don't get a connect with the Quake client.
Is there anything special i need to install to my Quake 3 Arena ?
Mod's etc?

Best regards and thanks in advance

Jörg

bloodmire
03-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Hi,

i downloaded the iso and get the server running.
But i don't get a connect with the Quake client.
Is there anything special i need to install to my Quake 3 Arena ?
Mod's etc?

Best regards and thanks in advance

Jörg

Jorg, no offense, but i think you need the quake I client. Knoppixquake is te Quake I server version of CTF

Alextreme
03-04-2003, 08:22 PM
hey alex, i have been in contact with Knoppixquake also for the same. The HL/CS/DOD servers are pretty easy to run. There is no installation required. All you have to do is extract the files to a specified directory and give execution access to the 4-5 shell scripts that execute the server (i have tested these thoroughly). The beauty is that since each server listens on a separate port, it is possible through "nohup" to host up to 4 simultaneous ded servers on the machine (memory/cpu/bandwidth permitting)
please let me know where i can upload these files. my id on hotmail and Yahoo is : bloodmire . Mail me at yahoo with the details.
D

kay, if knoppixquake want's to have a go at it first i wont barge in, got more that enough ideas to keep me busy for the next 20 years...

Then again, i'm coordinating an effort to build a server-based morphix-iso, with all the goodies you would expect from a nice debian install. When this is stable we could make a few game-server minimodules, but this is may take some time (depending on how fast we get the servermodule working). I don't know if you have any webspace, you could directly ftp it to me, but i won't be able to put it up public (being a huge tarball). Just say so and i'll arrange an account, but i don't know if knoppixquake would want to try it first.

Maybe it would be better for me to focus on the gamemod, and get that q3a and ut democlients working? CS would be a whole different story, wineX isn't totally free (them bastids ;))

bloodmire
03-05-2003, 06:00 AM
alex even as i speak, im uploading the file to knoppixquake's server...358 out of 480 mb done. why dont we wait for KQ (im gonna refer to him as KQ from now on...too hard to type in the whole name) to get back on the forums and provide direction as to what he plans to do with the tarball. Of course you still need to set me up with an FTP id..so let me know whenever

Alextreme
03-05-2003, 01:53 PM
Yups, forgot all about it yesterday, real life was a bit hectic ;)

Sure, let KQ set out the lines, no problem :)

agent
03-06-2003, 08:36 PM
anyw way we could just get the whole game?? why just have server options!

A. Jorge Garcia
03-06-2003, 11:03 PM

Yup, that's what I've been saying!

god
03-06-2003, 11:24 PM
the whole games are proprientary, non-distributable, usually. So demos can be used. On the other hand, often the server is free and distributable... so we make the servers.... and throw the demos on

bloodmire
03-07-2003, 05:42 PM
God is right (isnt god always right :D ) . anways it might make more sense to have people publish how they remastered licensed clients on their own cds. that way, no software licensing breach and yet the knowledge is always available to do it on your own at home. the standard distros would only contain demos (agreed)!

A. Jorge Garcia
03-08-2003, 03:45 PM
OK, so make server CDs and maybe have someone host the gamemods on an ftpsite somewhere so we could install on the fly?

My students are dying for a LAN Party!

If you have the "free" servers and demos on a CD, then we could play a network game without the full mods, right? That might be the best solution.

Thanx,

bloodmire
03-08-2003, 06:39 PM
alex, this one from jorge is for you..i have started the ded server upload..but dont expect it for at least another 8 hours (dsl upload slow on my side)...

Alextreme
03-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Kewl, take your time :D

Meanwhile, i'm continuing work on that client module, quake3 demo will work with DRI-supported cards and ut2003 will be included with the next release, hopefully with a nvidia minimodule as the ut2k3 demo only works with nvidia-based cards, but i'm still working on that :?

also, if i am not mistaken, the quake3 and ut2003 demos also have a multiplayer option, then again having a dedicated server would still be a good idea ;)

bloodmire
03-09-2003, 08:11 PM
just realized from a friend of mine that the Mesa 5.0 drivers work just as well (he actually managed to run q3arena with mesa on an ati 8m card..and said it was quite playable) . only catch is that they have to be made for a particular install. so instead of nvidia linux drivers why not include the latest 5.0 mesa build?

bloodmire
03-11-2003, 01:29 AM
God , this one is for you...

http://ut2003.trobis.com/server_howto.html

let me know if u'd rather have me build it. I cant test it though.

god
03-11-2003, 03:32 AM
If you build it, i can test it... I am working more intently on the mediapackknoppix and the concurrent version of morphix than i thought i would be, at least for the time being...

bloodmire
03-11-2003, 03:41 AM
If you build it, i can test it... I am working more intently on the mediapackknoppix and the concurrent version of morphix than i thought i would be, at least for the time being...

:shock: dammit..was hoping u would build it..anyways i will take a crack at it :lol:

god
03-11-2003, 03:42 AM
I can try if you give me time..... spring break starts next week.. i might have time then...

bloodmire
03-11-2003, 03:48 AM
I can try if you give me time..... spring break starts next week.. i might have time then...
i was kidding, i will take a crack at it.

god
03-11-2003, 03:52 AM
fair enought.. i am up to my eyebrows getting freevo working right....[/u]

nin_inigma
04-01-2003, 11:39 PM
Any clues on how to put a functioning dod server on?

bloodmire
04-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Any clues on how to put a functioning dod server on?
already done. need to remaster andhavent gotten around to doing it. I can ftp the file up to you if you want to remaster

Prophet
06-22-2003, 02:39 AM
I have remastered Knoppix (Model_K) with integrated Halflife ded Server.
I made this for my friends which do not know much about Linux.
So I set it up to be easy to use (Samba, ssh)
and easy to install, (knx-install) to give an old comptuer a new live as HLDS. The remaster is ready to take any other HL mod with available Linux server, like CS, DOD, NS and so on.
Let me know if interested.

DaFlo

A. Jorge Garcia
06-22-2003, 06:29 PM
Are there any special hardware requirements for HL?

I tried to get MORPHIXgame working with unreal tournament. I was braking my head trying to reconfigure everything when it didn't work. Then I found out it was because unreal was designed to work only with hardware accelerated graphics cards from nvidia....

TIA,

Prophet
06-22-2003, 09:23 PM
As far as i know HL runs too in software rendering, acceptable.
But wine is nessesary for a client under Linux. (and a full copy of the game)

Copycat
06-23-2003, 12:23 PM
and easy to install, (knx-install) to give an old comptuer a new live as HLDS. The remaster is ready to take any other HL mod with available Linux server, like CS, DOD, NS and so on.

DaFlo

I'm interested by your knoppix hl server

mail me at : copycat10@freesurf.ch

knoppixquake
12-19-2003, 09:44 PM
It's me, the guy who started this thread and mod. I haven't really done much on the Mod. I tried to get it to work as an add-on to Morphix, but couldn't get it to work. I have answered a few emails from people, but that's about it. I am glad to see that this thread sparked some work by others.

I would like to do some more stuff on this mod, specifically putting a light-gui on it and including the client (Windows and Linux), I just haven't gotten around to it. I got a house, and had to get my whole network set up, etc. Got a new puppy too, so that takes up a lot of my free time keeping him occupied.

To answer a question someone had about "Why no client?" on the original mod CD, I wanted a server and the most maps possible. I was working off of a text-only based distro, so there was no GUI to worry about configuring. Since I made this mod, Knoppix has freaking taken off! Morphix took off too, I am kind of sad I didn't get the Quake mod working for that, I could have been the first working add-on mod. :-(

Oh well, hopefully I have given some people something to have fun with in this mod CD. Maybe someday I'll dig back in and get it updated.

If anyone wants to host this ISO, feel free, just give a link and credit where it is due. My poor little server at home on my DSL line can take a beating when someone else discovers KnoppixQuake and decides to download it. :-) If you want to drop me a line, go to http://knoppixquake.webhop.net

KnoppixQuake

knoppixquake
12-28-2003, 07:57 PM
Hey all.

Per a user request, I hacked together a way you can play Shaka Custom TF with my CD. You only have to download one more file, and use it with the CD. It contains some replacement files for Custom TF.

And no, you don't have to remaster the CD. I found out an interesting way that you can modify the cfg files as a result of hacking this together. If you have > 150M of memory available, you can copy everything to the ramdisk and edit away.
Boot the CD
cp -a /KNOPPIX/quake /tmp
cd /tmp/quake

Now you can run the server from here, and edit the cfg files too.
If you want to run the Custom TF server, just download knoppixquake.shaka.tgz from my website, tar -zxvf it in /tmp/quake, and go from there.

Oh, if you have < 150M, you can probably still do this, by not copying all of the maps, to tmp, and only copying the ones you want to play. That should save some space.

It's all in the README too, at http://knoppixquake.webhop.net/

rabinhood
01-03-2004, 04:33 PM
I try to make a versione of Knoppix to lanch a Counter-strike (version 1.6 steam) server with a script. When I do it I post the link.

A. Jorge Garcia
01-03-2004, 05:26 PM
If I remember correctly, MorphixGame 0.35 had Quake III Team Fortress that had client and server as one. Can you do something like that with KNOPPIX?

TIA,

othercents
01-26-2004, 08:27 PM

DaFlo

Prophet, I would like to get a copy of that CD. Was just looking for a way to boot a server on an as needed basis. Also was wondering if you had any bots on the CD so they can be loaded as needed?

email: other_cents@hotmail.com

splynter
02-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Hi guys, I've read the posts in this topic and I must say that this is exactly what I am looking for.

Here's my goal: I'd like to make a bootable Unreal Tournament server CD with a few mods and as many maps as possible. I need the linux part of it to be as small as possible (no gui). Basically, I want to put the CD in the drive, boot-up the PC and the server is up and running, with no user input (or very little). I'm kinda new to Linux so I need some help. Anything you guys can offer would be great. When I have it completed I'll post it for anyone to download. Of course if someone already has this done then let me know!

Any links, tools, ISOs, etc. that anyone can supply to help me would be much appreciated.

A. Jorge Garcia
02-19-2004, 07:31 PM
I think Morphix had this running already but only for nvidia cards.

Regards,
AJG

splynter
02-19-2004, 07:59 PM
I know Morphix has Unreal Tournament 2003, but I want to run the original Unreal Tournament.

Thanks for the quick reply anyway.