PDA

View Full Version : changing the name of /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

wk
09-06-2003, 03:58 PM
I would like to change the name of the main file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX.
What do I have to do during remastering? For sure I have to change paths in linuxrc
(in miniroot.gz), and the name of the folder KNOPPIX in miniroot.gz. But what more?
Is there any special documentation for building this booting engine?

wk

SillyFly
09-06-2003, 06:46 PM
check out this thread - http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4229

wk
09-07-2003, 12:31 AM
This is not exactly the case. I am trying to change the name of the file KNOPPIX to, let say, FOO.
I also want to change the name of the directory KNOPPIX/ where the file is, to FOO, too. So, I am trying to force knoppix to boot from /cdrom/FOO/FOO or /hdaX/FOO/FOO. I have changed all paths
/cdrom/KNOPPIX and /KNOPPIX in linuxrc and changed symlinks in miniroot. Bootengine finds the file FOO/FOO but returns fsck error saying that "the superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct filesystem." But the file is OK - I have checked it by renaming it back to KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX and boot with the standard boot.img and it works fine (no such errors). So probably I haven't changed something but have no idea what.
But despite this problem: thanks very much to all - I was given a lot of help for the last few days.

wk

LoRdxxx
09-19-2003, 04:52 PM
Hi

Did you find the easy way changing the name /cdrom/KNOPPIX ?

wk
09-19-2003, 05:16 PM
Hi

No, still have no idea what I did wrong.
Did you find any not-so-easy ways of doing it?
I'd be very appeciate for any suggestions.

wk.

garyng
09-20-2003, 03:33 AM
Hi

No, still have no idea what I did wrong.
Did you find any not-so-easy ways of doing it?
I'd be very appeciate for any suggestions.

wk.

It should really be just a one to two line changes(in linuxrc) as I do it frequently by keeping various ISO image on HD with naming like KNOPPIX_726, KNOPPIX_905(as newer KNOPPIX is not always the best). As far as can tell it really is just the line that search the first level KNOPPIX directory and the line that insmod cloop that needs to be changed.

LoRdxxx
09-20-2003, 02:30 PM
Hi
is editing the linuxrc enough for changing the KNOPPIX name ? in mini root path there is a number of files that linked to the KNOPPIX path.. Are they required to edit also ??

wk
09-20-2003, 02:39 PM
It should really be just a one to two line changes(in linuxrc) as I do it frequently by keeping various ISO image on HD with naming like KNOPPIX_726, KNOPPIX_905(as newer KNOPPIX is not always the best). As far as can tell it really is just the line that search the first level KNOPPIX directory and the line that insmod cloop that needs to be changed.

Hmm, interesting because I have changed much more then two lines, so this is probably the problem. Could you send me your linuxrc file? (at mrslippery@NOSPAM.interia.pl - delate NOSPAM. , of course). Thank in advance.
wk

LoRdxxx
09-20-2003, 03:04 PM
could you explain the changed lines ? can you wite it here

wk
09-20-2003, 07:04 PM
could you explain the changed lines ? can you wite it here

Well, there's not much to say: I have changed all the paths /KNOPPIX and /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
and the symlinks in miniroot (there are symlinks pointing to /etc /proc and other folders).
That's all I did but it seems that was too much. I would still like to see your linuxrc file if it is not a problem :)

best,
wk

LoRdxxx
09-22-2003, 12:42 AM
I have not a succesfull linuxrc at the moment.. waiting a cool answer from somebody here :)

LoRdxxx
09-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Did you checked the Morphix distro ? it is reconfigured from KNOPPIX ans they succesfully changed the KNOPPIX name to MORPHIX.. It could be useful to take a look ... I am looking now :)

hiweed
09-24-2003, 05:13 AM
Did you find it, LoRdxxx?

LoRdxxx
09-24-2003, 01:11 PM
Currently no.. I did all modification on the miniroot.gz and the boot script but it failed to load .. It said there is a superblock erorr and run the e2fsck... I am suspecting cloop... any idea.