PDA

View Full Version : DHCP Problem, Please HELP me

MacManus
09-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Hello ppl..
I know there are a lots of post about DHCP problem..
I think i have read them all.. but nothing helps me out..

I am using KNOPPIX 3.2 CD-Boot (2003-09-05) and i cant connect to my network or Internet, i have tried netcardconfig but it didnt work..
Neither with or without DHCP, and i also tried knoppix noapic ..
didnt work either.. also ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.50 netmask 255.255.255.0 up didnt work.. What to do ??

I have a PCMCIA Netgear netwok card that works just fine..
And a Dlink 604 Router.. Please help me..

Harry Kuhman
09-06-2003, 11:49 PM
I am using KNOPPIX 3.2 CD-Boot (2003-09-05) and i cant connect to my network or Internet, i have tried netcardconfig but it didnt work..
Neither with or without DHCP, and i also tried knoppix noapic ..
didnt work either.. also ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.50 netmask 255.255.255.0 up didnt work.. What to do ??

I have a PCMCIA Netgear netwok card that works just fine..
And a Dlink 604 Router.. Please help me..

So why do you think you have a DHCP problem and not a more fundamental problem?

Can't speak about a 9/5 version quite yet, the EN version hasn't made it to the US mirrors I can get in to, although I did see a DE version. But I don't expect your problem is related to the 9/5 version unless you tell us older versions do run fine (and that's DO RUN FINE, not DID run fine.)

What happens when you try manually doing the ifconfig? Can you ping the dhcp server (or any other local machine)? What errors are you seeing. Did you try "mii-tool -r" before doing the netcardconfig? Did you try booting in the expert mode and answering no to all questions (I don't expect this last will work if noapic did not, but it's worth a try)?

And what do you mean the Netgear card works fine? Have you run Windows on this card? You may not want to believe this, but I continue to get confirmation from sources that don't know each other, that Windows will deliberately screw up a nic so that some versions of Linux cannot boot on it, and then bypass the damage that it did itself when it boots. I just had a friend describe this to me Thursday, with no mention on my part of what I already reported here, as something Windows will do on a Dual Boot system. I explained to him that Windows doesn't wait until it detects a dual boot system, it does it to the NIC anyway, and so screws us Knoppix users. But he is pretty much seeing the same thing I've seen and reported on many machines in a University setting.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about, read these two threads
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2117
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164

Harry Kuhman
09-09-2003, 02:18 AM
MacManus,

I finally got a copy of the Sept 5 release. knoppix noapic no longer seems to let me boot to the network either (with a NIC that used to work fine before the Windows "security updates" were installed). But "sudo mii-tool -r" and then netcardconfig does resolve my problem.

What's your cureent status?

MacManus
09-09-2003, 07:34 AM
MacManus,

I finally got a copy of the Sept 5 release. knoppix noapic no longer seems to let me boot to the network either (with a NIC that used to work fine before the Windows "security updates" were installed). But "sudo mii-tool -r" and then netcardconfig does resolve my problem.

What's your cureent status?

Okey.. I will try that, Iam not at home right now.. cheers!

Harry Kuhman
09-09-2003, 09:06 AM
Good to hear you're still around.
I didn't expect it when knoppix noapic didn't work with this new version, but I tested it and found that booting in expert mode and answering all questions n also lets me boot up with the nic working, without needing to do the sudo mii-tool -r trick. I suggest you try both and see if either work for you. Please report back and let others know. And please tell, has Windows been run on this nic? If so, what flavors?