PDA

View Full Version : Windows FAT and FAT 32 partitions

fransm
01-21-2003, 11:35 PM
When starting Knoppix from the CD I can see all the HD partitions FAT and FAT 32 present on the system. Now I installed Knoppix as a second OS in its own Linux ext2 partition. The installation succeeded perfectly but I don't see any of the other windows partitions. What can I do to make them visible. I new with Linux.

hamatoma
01-22-2003, 01:41 AM
Start a root console.

kate /etc/fstab
For each fat partition you will find a line like

# /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 vfat noauto,... 0 0
Remove the comment char # and replace noauto by auto.
After rebooting your partitions are mounted. You can find each partition as subdirectory of /mnt, e.g. /mnt/hda3 is the mountpoint for /dev/hda3.

If you want to have shortcuts on your desktop: right mouse click on your desktop, "New - Shortcut to HD" [strings could be other, I know the German version only)
I hope, this helps a little bit.
Hamatoma

01-22-2003, 08:34 PM
Thank you very much for this reply. It realy helped me a lot. I can see all the partitions now and created shortcuts on my desktop. :D
Can you also give me a clew on why my mousecursor is frozen (doesn't move anymore on the screen) mostly when I trie to logon as another user.

hamatoma
01-23-2003, 03:32 PM
See in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
Search for the Section "ServerLayout". There are items named "InputDevice". Show for one like

InputDevice "PS/2 Mouse" "CorePointer"
Memorize the name, e.g. "PS/2 Mouse".

Now look for the section "InputDevice" with an item "Identifier" like the memorized name. My example:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "PS/2 Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection

Check the entries, e.g. is your mouse a PS2-mouse...
If you don't know about this things, write a description of your mouse (company, connection type (serial - USB - PS/2 ...)) to this forum.
Good luck!
Hamatoma