PDA

View Full Version : ttyS0 seems to be held by brltty

locutus
09-07-2003, 02:01 AM
I've recently migrated from RH to Debian/Knoppix and I always run a server reading weather info from my weather station on /dev/ttyS0. Since my migration to Debian/Knoppix, that stopped working and I found out it's because the ttyS0 port as getting used by the brltty server. It's started in rcS.d.

when I ran /etc/init.d/brltty stop it still wouldn't stop so it had to be killed with "killall brltty"

Anyway, I thought this might be of interest to anybody expecting to use ttyS0.

I've not checked if this is related only to a Knoppix/hdd_install or if it does this from CDROM. I'm running from a knoppix_installer installation( v3.2 7/26/03 ).

cheers.

Dave_Bechtel
09-07-2003, 07:13 AM
--If you want to stop brltty from starting permanently. you have a couple of options.

o mkdir /etc/rcS.d/disabled; Go into /etc/rcS.d and mv the S??brltty symlink to the disabled dir

o mv S??brltty ss??brltty (my method)

o apt-get remove --purge brltty

I've recently migrated from RH to Debian/Knoppix and I always run a server reading weather info from my weather station on /dev/ttyS0. Since my migration to Debian/Knoppix, that stopped working and I found out it's because the ttyS0 port as getting used by the brltty server. It's started in rcS.d.

when I ran /etc/init.d/brltty stop it still wouldn't stop so it had to be killed with "killall brltty"

Anyway, I thought this might be of interest to anybody expecting to use ttyS0.

I've not checked if this is related only to a Knoppix/hdd_install or if it does this from CDROM. I'm running from a knoppix_installer installation( v3.2 7/26/03 ).

cheers.

locutus
09-07-2003, 05:19 PM
--If you want to stop brltty from starting permanently. you have a couple of options.

o mkdir /etc/rcS.d/disabled; Go into /etc/rcS.d and mv the S??brltty symlink to the disabled dir

o mv S??brltty ss??brltty (my method)

o apt-get remove --purge brltty

that woudl work or what I did rm -rf /etc/rc.S.d/S*brltty since I have no plans to need brail in the near future. knock on wood. ;)