PDA

View Full Version : would this work ?

Muka
09-07-2003, 08:35 AM
Hello,

I would like to be able to install Knoppix onto the remaining 6 Gb NTFS partition I have spare.

Beside that I have already Mandrake 9.1 install along with WinXP via LILO.

Is it possible to install Knoppix onto my G drive and then be able to boot into it with a floppy boot disk ?

Also I read that when Knoppix installs it does so on one partition. Does it not install :/, swap, usr and home ?

Much thanks - muka

locutus
09-07-2003, 06:46 PM
Also I read that when Knoppix installs it does so on one partition. Does it not install :/, swap, usr and home ?

you read correctly, knoppix_installer and the older installer only install Knoppix to a single partition. That means, /, /usr, /home, /etc, etc are all installed to one partition. If you already have a swap partition, it'll use that but everything else goes in one partition. If you installed Mandrake, you might remember that you had the abillity to select other partitions for parts of your OS installation. Many will put /home and /usr/local on there own partition since they tend to be the more "dynamic" parts of the OS filesystem.

fingers99
09-08-2003, 03:55 AM
I'd be inclined to use the Mandy installer to convert that partition to ext3. While you'd be wise to make a boot disk for Knoppix, it's easy enough to rewrite the Mandy /etc/lilo.conf to boot everything. Do this from Mandy, and make a back up before you change anything.