PDA

View Full Version : f-prot remaster

apex_predator
09-07-2003, 10:51 AM
I am currently working on a re-master for techs that support Windows called Medix. I am trying to install f-protect to its default directory (/usr/local) so that it will play nicely with xfprotect (the gui front end). My problem is that I can't seem to find a way to install f-prot to the default directory, but have it pull it's definitions from /home/knoppix/*. I have read through the man pages and html docs for "f-prot" and "check-updates.pl" and scoured the net for some sort of clue.

I have found lots of ways to install and run it from the live cd, and several references to people who have got it working on remasters or who are currently in the process of working on it, but no real leads on whatever it is that I am missing.

I have vi'd the install script for f-prot and the only thing that looks promising is modifying the source directory, but examination of the script leads me to believe that this would also modify the install directory. Am I wrong?

Is there any way to get my /home/knoppix directory from the chrooted hdd environment into the compressed image so that it is carried over at boot from the CD? That seems unlikely to me.

If I am missing something obvious feel free to lambaste me, its 3 AM here and I have been trying to work around this for more hours and CD's than I care to count.

any help would be appreciated

ignuu2
09-08-2003, 07:27 PM
This may be a dumb suggestion but couldn't you just delete the default folder and sym-link it to whereever you wanna put your files? You could even have the symlink created at boot using rc5.d or something like that so you won't have to worry about what comes from where when you master the image.

Good luck.

apex_predator
09-08-2003, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have decided to go with Clam AV instead. It allows me to specify where I want the virus defs downloaded to and where I am going to pick them up from using CLI switches, better EULA too since it is GPL. It has worked perfectly in testing so far.

Now if I could just get dosemu straigtened out I would be golden. :D

aay
09-09-2003, 03:33 AM
apex_predator,

Let us know when you get this finished up. Sounds like a nice project.

joeshmoo
09-10-2003, 03:10 AM
Have a look at L.A.S. (http://localareasecurity.com) the latest version has ClamAV and you can run 'freshclams' to update. From what I read they also have alot of cisco tools on the latest that I use alot. I like that it runs on a miniCD too.

:D

apex_predator
09-11-2003, 06:26 AM
My remaster (Medix) also allows for freshclam update, in fact it is the preferred method and runs from a single click on a desktop shortcut (the disk is for Windows techs).

My remaster is currently in beta testing with about 30 technicians world wide. Version 0.1 (public release) will include a user interface based on advanced shell scripting. (much like the install interface for slackware, or, for those that remember, all distros 4 years ago)

not slagging LAS, I cant wait to try it out, just has a different target than my release.