PDA

View Full Version : windows software

r3d
09-07-2003, 06:53 PM
im a total linux newb.
i burned the cd , booted to knoppix , and everything ran great (cept theres no sound , but im sure i can figure that out).
so my question is......
before i get into this to seriously , will i be able to run my windows based games such as Quake3 and Red Alert2?
or software such as trillian?

where can i find more info on this?

tyia

Corwyn2
09-07-2003, 07:07 PM
the short answer is, no.

The qualified answer is, yes, there are windows emulators, but there are also versions of some softwares that run under windows that have also been ported to linux. For instance, Trillian doesn't have a linux version, but GAIM is a great linux solutuon for that. As for your games, I'd say that you should see if the games have Linux versions, running them under such emulators such as Wine, would be problematic at best.

As for other software that runs under linux and windows, for instance, Office, there's OpenOffice, as well as a few other software distro's that are similar.

Some games etc as well as utilities are such have been ported, I'd recommend going with the ported software rather than an emulator.

arkaine23
09-07-2003, 11:14 PM
There are some remasters of knoppix that have winex installed. they'd be better if you're trying to play Windows games. Jollix and Morphix come to mind....

ktheking
09-07-2003, 11:26 PM
I think here is good descriptive about gaming in linux :
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20020531/

As it was in the beginning of windows ,the first versions were always sold for professional applications.
As it grew gaming became a main part of it.
Similar it is to linux.
A cross over platform is forming itself and once mature enough and linux popularity will grow ,game constructors will create games for both linux and windows (or multi-platform).

Technically a lot of the new games are playable ,but require a lot of technical know-how to get it running what in the old days of Win3.11 also accured.
A good example of the evolution of linux gaming is are the fully bootable games Unreal Tournament 2003 and AmericanArmy. These are iso's you can download and which should work at boot. (mainly sponsored by nvidia).

greetzz,