PDA

View Full Version : Extensa 610 + LG's PCMCIA CD-Rom = Nothing !!!

bkm_br
09-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Hello everybody.
I'm trying to install a knoppix's brazilian offshoot called Kurumin in a Extensa 610 ( Pentium 150mhz / 32mb RAM / 1.3 Gb / Surecom 100/10mbit PCMCIA Lan Card ). The machine don't have a built-in CD-ROM drive and because this I'm trying to use a LG's CRN-8240E external CD-Rom drive without success.
I already tried to use luelljoc's floppys (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3209#15092), and also the knoppix nopcmcia ide2=0x180,0x386 and the drive didn't work.
I had tried to use Mandrake's PCMCIA boot disk and work fine but i can install it because the Hard Drive is to small and the computer is to slow for mdk 9.0. I'm without any other OS in the HD ( the HD is 100% clean, without any kind of partition ) and I can't copy the ISO to HD and boot by loadlin or acess the external CD-ROM Drive.
Anyone know what I can do to boot the CD-ROM in the PCMCIA drive to install it on my Hard Drive ? Any help is welcome. :wink:

ewanrg
09-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Eventually I moved to Mandrake on one machine for just this reason. It seems to be the only offering that understands PCMCIA CD-Roms.

Is there any chance you could load just enough of Mandrake (by deselecting packages in the initial load configuration) to let you run? Or to at least run long enough to pull down another distribution that will work better for you?

FWIW,
Ewan

didac
09-24-2003, 08:55 AM
Hi,

When you load Mandrake do lsmod to find the driver for your cdrom
Find the entry for your card in /etc/pcmcia/config
Add the same entry to config in the pcmcia_modules floppy of jochens boot disks and make sure the driver is there as well, otherwise put the driver on as well.

Alternatively if you know the driver, like "ide-cs" for my pcmcia IQ drive
do "cardctl ident slotnr (0 for the first one)"

output will be in the form
product info " "," ", " "
manfid: xxxxxx, yyyyyy
function ....

Add
card " "
manfid xxxxxx, yyyyyy
bind "yourdriver"

to the ATA/IDE fixed disk section of config

Try again
Hope this helps

luelljoc
11-21-2003, 07:36 PM
Hi,

in the meantime the pcmcia boot floppies have been updated.
Have a look at:
http://www.luell.com/projects.html#knoppix_pcmcia

These disks should work much better than the old ones.

Bye
Jochen