PDA

View Full Version : Winmodem...please help me

emax
09-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Hi, can someone please help me getting my lucent winmodem to work on my Dell inspiron 5000e with the knoppix 3.2 live cd. What's the exact procedure? I`m a newbe, i tried everything i founded on this forum but nothing seems to happen. I don't know if it's really needed but i can't also install the kernel headers cause kpackage says that i have a read-only filesystem.

oldgeezer
09-08-2003, 09:50 AM
Never a good idea to use an internal modem due to lack of control and monitoring; they leave reboot as the sole option for Web lockups.
Using a Win(dows)modem in Linux may be possible using clever workarounds, but rather begs the question! Better to make the switch earlier rather than later?
OG.

L2Cache
09-09-2003, 03:12 AM
I have a lucent winmodem in my laptop and use the method described in this post:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2050#9512

It works with mine.

emax
09-09-2003, 06:04 AM
I already tried that but it doesn't work for me. I found that i have a Lucent 048c modem and probably it's an AMR (i don't know for sure). Anyone has some more info?

www.rzr.online.fr
10-05-2003, 02:56 AM
hi i am one desapasperate winmodem owner
how can i guess what mmodem / codec is behind my controler
see :

mightydavefish
10-15-2003, 12:38 AM
....they have info that can help you determine what type of modem you have.
Here's quick ideas:
1. If you have Windows running on that machine you can check under Device Manager.
2. Under linux "lspci -v" will list all devices attached to your PCI bus and will tell you what you have. I have a winmodem in both my laptop (Thinkpad 600X) and my desktop and both are listed with lspci.
3. Failing that turn it off, open the case, and look at the modem.
4.Your final option is to hit the support site for whoever built your machine and see if your machine's specs are listed there.
Once you know your modem manufacturer go to linmodems.org and see if they have anything to help you get yours going. My laptop uses some sort of Lucent modem and my desktop is some sort of PCTel chip modem, and that site had the software and info to help me get both online.

www.rzr.online.fr
11-03-2003, 08:36 PM
thats what i did see
http://rzr.online.fr/linux.htm

I forgot the links before