PDA

View Full Version : New Conexant HSF (softmodem) driver release

aay
09-09-2003, 03:59 PM
I don't use this modem myself, but since questions come up about winmodems a lot on knoppix.net I thought I'd post about a new driver release that I saw on freshmeat.net for this modem.

Perhaps things will work better now for people who need this. Note that it is now being packaged as a deb as well.

Here is the homepage: http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/

I'm listing the Freshmeat info below.

About: This package contains generic Linux drivers for the Conexant (formerly Rockwell) Softmodem HSF modem family, which are used by many modem and computer system manufacturers. They should work on most current Linux distributions, based on the 2.4.x kernels. A Pentium processor with the MMX enhancements is required. Some systems may require kernel recompilation with special ACPI patches. Preemptible kernels are not yet supported.

Changes: A significant overhaul was done during the Spring and Summer of 2003, greatly improving modem stability, compatibility, and features. V.92, Caller ID, and FAX (Class 1/1.0) support were added. Support for 2.6 kernels was added. NVM/.inf handling was completely redesigned. Multiple device instances are now supported, which means that more than one modem can be handled by the driver. SMP support was improved, and preemptible kernels should now work. Debian support was improved, and .deb packaging was added (make debdist).