PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix is great!

paulnasca
09-10-2003, 07:59 AM
Hi.
I downloaded a day and a night the knoppix ISO image and I runned it.
I is very great stuff. I autodetected everything :).. including the Internet connection.
In fact I am witing this message using KNOPPIX CD (I put it in the cdrom and booted it WITHOUT any manual configuration).

I am thinking to copy the CD to my friends.
Also I found the CD for sale in many stores (on the Internet) and knoppix is cheaper than a warez CD 8) (btw: who needs warez? since exist such good stuff free/legal..)
Good work!
Paul.

robertaa
09-10-2003, 01:57 PM
I found out as well that Knoppix does a great job of detecting and supporting the hardware I have in my system. Only component I'm not sure about was my Sandisk USB compact flash card reader. I expected it would be listed as an available mountable device (like a HD or FD) but I didn't see it.

aay
09-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Hi.
I downloaded a day and a night the knoppix ISO image and I runned it.
I is very great stuff. I autodetected everything :).. including the Internet connection.
In fact I am witing this message using KNOPPIX CD (I put it in the cdrom and booted it WITHOUT any manual configuration).

I am thinking to copy the CD to my friends.
Also I found the CD for sale in many stores (on the Internet) and knoppix is cheaper than a warez CD 8) (btw: who needs warez? since exist such good stuff free/legal..)
Good work!
Paul.

I agree completely. With things like Knoppix and OSS in general there is no excuse for using warez.

Glad you're enjoying Knoppix.

Adam

estranged
09-11-2003, 08:29 AM
Yes. Knoppix is GREAT.
Its the Distro that made me NOT to want to look back to windows. And this is no joke.

fingers99
09-11-2003, 04:49 PM
Only component I'm not sure about was my Sandisk USB compact flash card reader.

Try (as root)

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt

but I've heard that some sandisk stuff isn't fully usb compliant (just appears to be in Windows).

UselessPython
09-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Knoppix is indeed great.

I've been using it in the field for everything from recovering files on seemingly toasted hard drives to scoping out the situation on systems with an assortment of problems on various networks my company supports.

Yesterday the owner of the company took the plunge and borrowed a copy to burn, and today some of the tech support people at [major PC vendor] were more than a little impressed with how I was able to use it to trim hours from the troubleshooting process.

Plus, while I'm running a low-level format (or whatever) on one PC, I can play Frozen Bubble on the one next to it.

Henk Poley
09-12-2003, 04:48 PM
Plus, while I'm running a low-level format (or whatever) on one PC, I can play Frozen Bubble on the one next to it.
low-level format, uh? (that hasn't been possible since around the i80286).

Anyways, I've updated my knoppix hdinstall to kernel 2.6. I didn't think there was much of a change when running Linux, it booted a bit faster, and KDE doesn't load that slow anymore. But always when I boot to XP I'm disgusted about the interactivity performance. Everything just feels slow as opposed to Linux. Especially when something is "using" the HD (virusscan, defrag, find).

That's on an AMD XP2000+ and 512MB SDRAM, should be "enough" for MS Windows, you'd say. Maybe I'll try installing Knoppix or Morphix on my old P100-40MB and see what 2.6 can do there.

OSS r0x0rs, as certain people would say.

UselessPython
09-15-2003, 02:36 AM

Sure, it's possible. I performed a low-level format on a few-month-old 20 GB drive this weekend.

And from what my C++ professor told us when we first started covering pointers, it's possible to accidentally perform one by cataclysmically blundering *'s. ;)

Henk Poley
09-15-2003, 08:01 PM
Sure, it's possible. I performed a low-level format on a few-month-old 20 GB drive this weekend.

And from what my C++ professor told us when we first started covering pointers, it's possible to accidentally perform one by cataclysmically blundering *'s. ;)
Sorry, but IDE drives can be "formatted" (check the bytes on the disk/partition) but not "lowlevel formatted" (rewrite the 'track' which the r/w-arm follows). The motor is not that precise anymore. Early HD's could do this, but very soon they found out that if you 'write' the track on the disks at fabrication time with a seperate machine it would stay for about 10y.

And, if you use SpinRite: don't trust grc.com, or well maybe do, but it's docs are especialy vague on this point. If you read it carefully it only says it can do low-level format (re-interleave the disk etc.) on old non-IDE drives. Spinrite is a nice program in that it scans on a lower level than scandisk or fsck, it really tests the bytes, but it can't do miracles.

btw, yes it was possible on early IDE drives/cards to trigger the still existing BIOS code for low-level formatting which mostly trashed your harddisk (you would have a nice paperweight).

pigface
09-23-2003, 10:49 AM
Yeah knoppix is the shit. QQuite amazing and helpful if u ask me. Im taking a linux class in school and every other day the computer I Was using would get formatted I can just take the cd in and not have to worry about the timely install. And I earned some brownie points with the teacher and a few students who were also fed up with the timely reinstall everyday.

Thank You Knoppix, LINUX and all the people in this forum who were here to help me with the cheat codes and stuff liek that.