PDA

View Full Version : Install Problems

rasc
09-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Hi
I have tried to install Knoppix on my hd. The sytem is:
HD1 40gig XP installed
HD2 120gig (Fat32)

I then formated HD2 with partition magic to give 3.0gig linux (hda5) and and 2.0 gig swap (hda6) and tried to install Knoppix.

Booted up from CD
Brought up console
typed in "knx-hdinstall"
Got 2 screens in German (no idea what they said but accepted both) then nothing happens. Any ideas would be appreciated

rickenbacherus
09-11-2003, 01:26 PM
Hi
I have tried to install Knoppix on my hd. The sytem is:
HD1 40gig XP installed
HD2 120gig (Fat32)

I then formated HD2 with partition magic to give 3.0gig linux (hda5) and and 2.0 gig swap (hda6) and tried to install Knoppix.

Partition Magic does formatting too? IIRC 3G is a bit small. Maybe try a 4G partition at least. Knoppix has qtparted- a graphical partitioner that is not only open source but it hasn't borked any hdd's that I know of. I can't say the same for PM. ;)

Booted up from CD
Brought up console
typed in "knx-hdinstall"

The newer versions of Knoppix have a new script knoppix-installer- you might like it better. Remember to run the installer as root!

Got 2 screens in German (no idea what they said but accepted both) then nothing happens. Any ideas would be appreciated

Did you download the English .iso? They are labled 'en' and 'de'. Also- make sure you boot with lang=us

rasc
09-12-2003, 08:16 AM
Well I booted up with:
lang=us

and

lang=en

And I still get the screens coming up in German. Although when Knoppix runs from the cd the language is English. I only get the German once I press Ctl+Alt+F1 get to "root" type in "knx-hdinstall " I then accept the two screens (in German) and then nothing happens it just hangs?

I then tried:

knoppix lang=us 2
knx-hdinstall

and still it hangs

Ah well maybe try time somthing else....... :cry:

rickenbacherus
09-12-2003, 12:14 PM
If you have a newer version there is an improved installer. You can just open a terminal and entersudo knoppix-installer. Or, if you have an older version then you can still just open a terminal and do sudo knx-hdinstall. Still tho- make sure you have the english version.

rasc
09-12-2003, 12:27 PM
If you have a newer version there is an improved installer. You can just open a terminal and entersudo knoppix-installer. Or, if you have an older version then you can still just open a terminal and do sudo knx-hdinstall. Still tho- make sure you have the english version.

Okay rickenbacherus I will try the two ways quoted above. I did not know about those command lines only the ones I quoted in previous posts.
I am pretty sure that the version is english as I live in the UK (Scotlandthe land of limited broadband / cable) and got the iso of a local mag. Anyhoo will try your advice tonight when I get home and will let you know how I got on.

Once again thanks for the advice and help it's much appreciated.... :D