PDA

View Full Version : Making a Knoppix proxy server...

Gustafus
01-22-2003, 12:16 PM
Can anyone help me with a few simple steps how to build a proxy server with knopix?

I have a 2 NIC configuration, The external NIC get's an IP from the modem, but it is static anyway, and knoppix finds it automatically if I check with ifconfig...

Please keep it really simple, because I have never used linux before so I don't know anything...

Flibble
01-22-2003, 01:52 PM
Will this be a knx_hdinstall'ed box or do you mean running from a CD?

Sage1
01-22-2003, 02:56 PM
Why don't you use a dedicated distribution on a dedicated old computer?
It will run faster, includes a firewall, and will release your main machine for learning, doing great stuff!

I refer to IPCOP 1.2.0, you can download the 24MB distribution (ISO) from http://distrowatch.com

CAUTION! This is a firewall/proxy server that will install itself on a dedicated computer, erasing everything on the hard drive(s). It WILL totally erase an entire hard drive and install itself from the CD, then, can be administered remotely from any computer in the network! You won't need to leave the monitor, keyboard, mouse, CDROM on that 486 with 16 MB ram, and a 130 or larger hard drive with 2 NICs (3, if you want to add a web server). If on dial-up, it will use the modem, in place of the 'RED ZONE' NIC.

But, you cannot ask for a better proxy server, with firewall, with spare hard drive space storing
web pages in it's cache server. Build one in a Pizza BOX, with a 486-33 (using a heatsink instead of a fan) to hook 12 user systems to the Web!

Dave_Bechtel
01-22-2003, 05:15 PM
--Good info; thanx...

Why don't you use a dedicated distribution on a dedicated old computer?
It will run faster, includes a firewall, and will release your main machine for learning, doing great stuff!

I refer to IPCOP 1.2.0, you can download the 24MB distribution (ISO) from http://distrowatch.com

CAUTION! This is a firewall/proxy server that will install itself on a dedicated computer, erasing everything on the hard drive(s). It WILL totally erase an entire hard drive and install itself from the CD, then, can be administered remotely from any computer in the network! You won't need to leave the monitor, keyboard, mouse, CDROM on that 486 with 16 MB ram, and a 130 or larger hard drive with 2 NICs (3, if you want to add a web server). If on dial-up, it will use the modem, in place of the 'RED ZONE' NIC.

But, you cannot ask for a better proxy server, with firewall, with spare hard drive space storing
web pages in it's cache server. Build one in a Pizza BOX, with a 486-33 (using a heatsink instead of a fan) to hook 12 user systems to the Web!

Gustafus
01-22-2003, 05:50 PM
Well Tried IPCop but it hangs on install, just after I say the cdrom is inside it does nothing..., not even changes on my harddisk cuz I booted right back into win98 after I removed the cd.

What do I do now?

Berdt van der Lingen
01-29-2003, 01:10 AM
Check http://ipcop.hopto.org
You could ask there for support.

I would like to help, but you have to tell me some details ......

Anyway, DO NOT GIVE UP, IPcop is definitly perfect for the job!