PDA

View Full Version : How to install OS

veitcha
09-12-2003, 01:05 AM
Sorry if this is a highly simple question, but I'm missing something.
I've got a scsi drive, and I've been able to load it, partition it, and format it. Currently it's
/dev/sda1 Ext2 45 MB
/dev/sda2 Linux Swap 450 MB
/dev/sda3 ReiserFS 25Gig
/dev/sda4 ReiserFS 48Gig

I figured I could use
/sda1 for /boot
/sda2 for swap
/sda3 for /
/sda4 for /var

How do I mount these correct, and install the OS to the hard disk?

Sorry if this answered in another post, but I can't find it.

If it is easy as kfx-hdinstall no need to reply.

Sorry been a long day.

Dave_Bechtel
09-12-2003, 01:35 AM
--I have no experience with the new installer (it's in /usr/sbin I think) but have some advice for your partition scheme. :)

--You can cut down sda1 to as little as 8MB for /boot unless you get really exotic with testing different kernels; even then 16MB should be plenty.

--You may also want to go the whole route and have partitions for /home (4Gig?) and /usr (8-10Gig?); then / could be something like 500MB.

--That's a whole lotta /var; you going to be doing a lot of webserving or making a dedicated-log server?

Sorry if this is a highly simple question, but I'm missing something.
I've got a scsi drive, and I've been able to load it, partition it, and format it. Currently it's
/dev/sda1 Ext2 45 MB
/dev/sda2 Linux Swap 450 MB
/dev/sda3 ReiserFS 25Gig
/dev/sda4 ReiserFS 48Gig

I figured I could use
/sda1 for /boot
/sda2 for swap
/sda3 for /
/sda4 for /var

How do I mount these correct, and install the OS to the hard disk?

Sorry if this answered in another post, but I can't find it.

Sorry been a long day.

Tech2k
09-12-2003, 01:43 AM

knx-hdinstall would be better ;)

If you have the 7-26-03 or newer knoppix you might want to try the new "knoppix-installer".They are both included on the cd.On 7-26 (for sure) or newer to get root just say su.On older ones it's sudo su.I dont think your going to be installing on 4 partitions with the included installers.You might want to try hacking the installer and running it from the ramdrive or something but stock either one will just let you use a / and a swap.No need to change to /usr/local/bin or whatever just either boot "knoppix 2" or get root in a term/console and say the installer name.It's in your path.

So does the installer see your scsi drives?You can also do a manual install like mentioned in the faq located on your cdrom in /KNOPPIX.You should be able to install just to the root and use a swap then move some directories later after install like /var /home /whatever and link them.Tyr this from the DOCS link for example http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HomePartitionHowTo

After install theres a good chance that kde will go german on you.Yhe easiest way to fix this and also free about 180meg will be (for english only in this example) to say apt-get remove kde-i18n* and then apt-get update and then apt-get install localepurge.After that just generate the locales for your language and type localepurge to see how much it freed.

Superstoned
09-12-2003, 01:55 AM
and using knoppix-installer really makes things easier (at least for me)... Ensure your system is very well configured before you start the installation!