PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix Release 9-5-03 and Debian Stock Kernel 2.6.0 test4

fish_guy
09-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Has anyone else tried this? I am still getting a blank screen after OK booting the kernel (using video=vga16:off). I have tried on 2 machines thus far. One has a Matrox Card and one has a Nvidia GForce 254.

--FishGuy

w.nelson
09-13-2003, 12:47 AM
Start by reading:

http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/davej/misc/post-halloween-2.5.txt

and apt-get install mod-init-tools

fish_guy
09-13-2003, 03:47 AM
I'm way past that. 9-5-03 has the latest version of mod utils as well as all the other requirements for 2.6.0. I have tried all the other blank screen fixes including kernel recompile. I was just wondering if anyone else is running across problems.

--fish guy

Dave_Bechtel
09-13-2003, 09:32 AM
--I just went from 260-test4 to -test5, albeit under Vmware. Have you tried ' vga=normal '?

--Also note that since I upgraded from 2.4.20-xfs (using the DVD beta 2 under vmware) I went thru the kernel config ENTRY BY ENTRY in make menuconfig just to make sure it was putting in the things I wanted, and leaving certain things out that didn't need to be there. Don't trust "make oldconfig" on a completely new kernel version.

--In your case, I would pay particular attention to the "Graphics Support" main-menu entry. If some things are compiled as modules, try compiling them hard-wired instead and see if it makes a diff.

I'm way past that. 9-5-03 has the latest version of mod utils as well as all the other requirements for 2.6.0. I have tried all the other blank screen fixes including kernel recompile. I was just wondering if anyone else is running across problems.

--fish guy

joubertb
10-22-2003, 12:29 AM
fish guy,

Did you make any progress on your 2.6 kernel install?

I am having the same problems that you saw.

--joubert

fish_guy
10-22-2003, 03:06 AM
sure did. I compiled the ide and fat modules in. I suggest compiling a list of the hardware you use and compiling it in the kernel (not as modules). Plus you still need to use the vga=normal or vga=ask when booting.

--Fishguy

joubertb
10-22-2003, 03:11 AM
Thanks. After I posted, I figured out most of my problems. Got it working with initrd (need to not use cramfs, but use romfs), so did not have to compile in the fs modules. Also got some help on the vga=normal part from irc.

--joubert