PDA

View Full Version : Writing to hard drive

quanticle1
09-13-2003, 02:52 AM
Is there any way to configure knoppix to allow writing to the hard drive (FAT 32)?

aay
09-13-2003, 02:57 AM
Right click on the hard drive icon on your desktop. You should see an option that says something like "Change write options" or something like that. Click it and then you will be able to write to it. This will work fine just so long as you don't try to write to an ntfs partition. Writing to fat is fine.

eco2geek
09-13-2003, 04:12 AM
But don't forget, you have to mount the partition first! (Same method - right-click on it, select "mount" from the context menu.) You can tell a partition is mounted when a little green "power on" triangle in the lower right corner of its icon appears.

- e2g

aay
09-14-2003, 12:16 AM
But don't forget, you have to mount the partition first! (Same method - right-click on it, select "mount" from the context menu.) You can tell a partition is mounted when a little green "power on" triangle in the lower right corner of its icon appears.

- e2g

That's certainly true. I just assumed he had already clicked on the icon and that the drive had been automatically mounted: bad assumption though.

quanticle1
09-15-2003, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the tips!

BTW: I have the green "power-on" signal showing the partition is mounted. I just wanted to enable writing.

Thanks again!

matmas
09-17-2003, 07:36 AM
I have the 2003-06-06 release and my hd has two fat32 partitions (hda1 and hda5).
I can mount and read them without any problem, but when I switch to read-write the hda5 partition I can write and see the written files on the hd until I boot, but afterwards they are gone both under winxp and knoppix.
Also the knoppix home image I put on hda1 was read several time but the last time was identified as corrupted file by winxp scandisk at boot time.

Any suggestions?

thank you
bye
matteo

mdraca
09-17-2003, 07:56 AM
I havent tried Knoppix ( just DLing ) but in other distributions you have to edit /etc/fstab file.For more information try man fstab.

c_cinq
09-20-2003, 02:34 AM
will i be able to access the files writing on my harddrive, when i am not using knoppix(files like jpegs, openoffice files, etc)?