PDA

View Full Version : USB Memory

pro-logic
09-13-2003, 06:42 AM
Easy question does Knoppix(which is great from my limited expiriance with it) support USB 2.0 Memory of around 256MB??? THanks a lot i want to go ut and buy some but i'm not sure if it'll work.

Dave_Bechtel
09-13-2003, 09:27 AM
--It should, right out of the box. Usually the USB device will be /dev/sda or /dev/sda1, if you have no other SCSI/emulated devices. As root, ' fdisk -l ' after booting with the device connected should give you the indication whether it worked or not.

--If it doesn't, make sure you keep your receipt handy in case a return is needed.

--Required modules for USB memory/CF/thumbdrives to work (' lsmod ': )

ehci-hcd
usb-storage
usbcore

( and possibly )
usb-uhci
usb-ohci

--Note that you should *not* put swap on USB. Post back with results and what kind of USB device you bought, either way.

Easy question does Knoppix(which is great from my limited expiriance with it) support USB 2.0 Memory of around 256MB??? THanks a lot i want to go ut and buy some but i'm not sure if it'll work.

pro-logic
10-14-2003, 08:11 AM
Ok finally got one... its an EasyDisk 256MB USB2.0 Card dint want to work automatically with 3.2 but works automaticaly with 3.3 so thats good although it thinks its a HDD i supose thats normal though

aay
10-14-2003, 10:26 PM
Ok finally got one... its an EasyDisk 256MB USB2.0 Card dint want to work automatically with 3.2 but works automaticaly with 3.3 so thats good although it thinks its a HDD i supose thats normal though

I'm glad that it works with 3.3. There have been a number of reports of things working in 3.2 that do not work in 3.3. Since people rarely report back when things do actually work, it's hard to know what sort of progress Knoppix is making in being able to use more or newer hardare.

Thanks.

Adam