PDA

View Full Version : Will this work...

pro-logic
09-13-2003, 07:03 AM
I have a wirless at home... except i want to see how long it would take my naighbour to get into my network so i want to AirSnort it. My question is easy i have a IBM laptop that boots Knoppix, and i'm going to borrow a Lucent card from a friend... to you is.. to i need any special drivers for this card to get AIrSnort to work... to i need to know any spcial settings or tricks???

And do i need lost of trafic while testing the integrity or can it just be done at idel network rate?

Thanks a lot
pro-logic

4season
09-13-2003, 07:47 PM
If you're using the orinoco_cs drivers then yes, you need to patch your drivers. Info here:

http://airsnort.shmoo.com/orinocoinfo.html

Basically, you'll be recompiling your kernel with PCMCIA support turned off. You'll then download pcmcia_cs as source, patch with approrpiate airsnort patchfile, compile and install.

That said, I found that compiling it was a fuss and I had to reconfigurure my kernel's config file before it would actually compile correctly. I've finally gotten the patched drivers running okay under Debian Woody, and iwconfig now shows monitor mode as an option for my Speedstream SS1021 card, but how to actually activate it, and get Airsnort to do anything besides give me a "Unable to enter monitor mode" message, is still something of a mystery to me. If using Kernel 2.6, beware that none of the drivers in the pcmcia_cs package are 2.6 compatible, though the other non-driver items are fine.

At this point, I think I'm ready to just buy some other WiFi card which doesn't need patched drivers to Airsnort.

Jeff

pro-logic
09-13-2003, 10:50 PM
So what cards are supported without patched drivers? and what cost am i looking at? my linux know-how is low so this recompiling the system seams to be a little hard :shock: