PDA

View Full Version : toram and tohd worked great!! A few more questions??

rrolsbe
09-13-2003, 07:20 PM
I downloaded the 9-5-2003 version and both the toram and tohd=hda1 worked great on my home machines. I made an ISO image of the Knoppix boot CD and tried to make a bootable DVD, with no luck. I used Nero 5 to make the iso and then burn the DVD. Has anyone successfully created a Knoppix bootable DVD using the CD ISO image? If so please elaborate. Since my DVD ROM reads at 16X the DVD should perform better than a CD in a CDROM. Also, what will happen if I mistakenly select the boot option "tohd=hda1" on a system that only has NTFS partitions? Hopefully the Knoppix boot CD is smart enough to not mount or write to an NTFS partition. IE.. If I used boot option "hd=hda1" it would fail if a FAT16, FAT32 or linux partitions were not available.

The toram option is way cool, much faster that running from the CDROM. Of course the CDROM load into memory takes about 5 minutes. A bootable DVD ROM should reduce the load time to ram.

Thank Much
Ron

Lex
09-24-2003, 11:24 PM
Have you already tried to use toram together with fromhd? That would load Knoppix fast too (I don't know whether it works).

Stephen
09-24-2003, 11:29 PM
Have you already tried to use toram together with fromhd? That would load Knoppix fast too (I don't know whether it works).

It works together in the Version 2003-09-22 and later.

Ron: Boot with the dma cheat code it is turned off that should speed the loading from the CD.

Dave_Bechtel
09-25-2003, 11:44 AM
--I thnk you have an interesting idea, don't know if it's possible (ISO to DVD = bootable.) Googled a bit and found this, lemme know if it helps.

http://www.softlandmark.com/DVDRWriting2.htm

--You may have to do something like using the ISO and the boot.img file together to make the DVD bootable, I dunno.

I downloaded the 9-5-2003 version and both the toram and tohd=hda1 worked great on my home machines. I made an ISO image of the Knoppix boot CD and tried to make a bootable DVD, with no luck. I used Nero 5 to make the iso and then burn the DVD. Has anyone successfully created a Knoppix bootable DVD using the CD ISO image? If so please elaborate. Since my DVD ROM reads at 16X the DVD should perform better than a CD in a CDROM. Also, what will happen if I mistakenly select the boot option "tohd=hda1" on a system that only has NTFS partitions? Hopefully the Knoppix boot CD is smart enough to not mount or write to an NTFS partition. IE.. If I used boot option "hd=hda1" it would fail if a FAT16, FAT32 or linux partitions were not available.

The toram option is way cool, much faster that running from the CDROM. Of course the CDROM load into memory takes about 5 minutes. A bootable DVD ROM should reduce the load time to ram.

Thank Much
Ron