PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question: can't write to my floppy

kimo
09-13-2003, 09:09 PM
I am VERY new at Linux, and Knoppix for that matter, so keep that in mind when reading my question.

When I try to save my work (a document, a script, whatever...) to a floppy I get the message that I can't write to it. I've read the FAQ and some of the stuff that is posted here, and I have tried different things, but still nothing! When I try to write to the floppy it doesn't seem like it's even trying to connect with it (no light on my drive :p). When I run Kfloppy (thats the name isn't it?) it formats with no problems. HELP!

...and:
Which filesystem should I format my floppys to if I'd like to use them with both Knoppix and Windows? FAT32?

ktheking
09-13-2003, 10:22 PM
Your first have to 'mount' the floppy.
You can do this by hand or use the 'open location' inside Konqueror.
As it is for all devices inside the computersystem ,you have to mount them first. For ms windows is this also the case (but they've hidden it for you,in order to keep you stupid ;-) ).
Doing it by hand ,you have to specify some details about ,whci device,where to mount,wich what settings (1.4m,2.8mb,...),read-only,read/write,security settings,etc.. .
This may seem annoying ,but when using linux actually to develop something ,these extended options are very very handy.
In linux because of this working method you can accomplish anything.
If you can't find it,and nobody has made it ,you can always write it yourself. Try this one in windows,you'll hit the wall very hard and very soon.
Greetzzzzz,

a converted windows system administrator... :wink:

kimo
09-15-2003, 03:18 PM
I have now figured it out! Great!
Thanx :D

For other newbies who would like to know how:
http://www.alwanza.com/howto/linux/floppy.htm