PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about downloading

kiru9867
09-13-2003, 11:16 PM
I have been having problems downloading the image file from the Virginia Tech ftp site. I have been accessing the ftp site with my IE 6 browser, right-clicking the link for the image file, and selecting "Save File As..."

The download works fine until the very last second, when I get an error message that there is "insufficient space" on my HD. But I checked and I have 1GB of free space on the HD. I thought the 300 MB of extra space would be enough. I even defragmented the disk, and disabled the firewall on my 2nd attempt, but that did not help.

I also tried downloading the file from the Virginia Tech site by using the ws-ftp application, but I was unable to log in.

Does anyone have any advice as to what else I can try (other than deleting more stuff from my 6GB HD)?

Thanks and sorry if the question sounds dumb.

Kiru

rickenbacherus
09-13-2003, 11:54 PM
The .iso is right at 700M in size so you'd need at least that much room.

Stephen
09-14-2003, 12:55 AM
The download works fine until the very last second, when I get an error message that there is "insufficient space" on my HD. But I checked and I have 1GB of free space on the HD. I thought the 300 MB of extra space would be enough. I even defragmented the disk, and disabled the firewall on my 2nd attempt, but that did not help.

You would need ~1.4gb free to download the file windows needs 700mb for a temp file and 700mb extra to actually write the file to the disk.

baldyeti
09-14-2003, 10:42 AM
Maybe worth checking IE's cache contents. But since you most
certainly allocated _less_ than 700 Mb to the cache, the ISO
probably was deleted on the next IE invocation. Oh, well...
I suggest you download a windows version of "wget"
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html
Learn to use it from a DOS box, it works the same as under
linux. Interrupted downloads can be restarted (-c switch),
and there's no silly copying around.

garyng
09-14-2003, 11:13 AM
and there's no silly copying around.

This is the most stupid feature of IE I have seen so far, to download a 700M file, one needs to have 1.4G space available, I just don't know what is in their mind when they design this, especially there is no suspend/resume, what for ?

Superstoned
09-14-2003, 11:28 AM
After I started to use Linux (and I've seen Mac OS X, too) I asked this question so many times... Why haven't they build a propper uninstall-system or packetmanagement? why all the securityflaws? why so slow? why do I miss this and this and this feature? etc etc - I guess the answer is: they don't have to make it right, ppl buy it anyway... they have no choice... (at least, they think so)

kiru9867
09-14-2003, 07:47 PM
Well I deleted another 400 MB of stuff from the HD so there was 1.4GB available. (This was before I read the post about the workaround). I managed to download it w/o problems.

Now I have a different problem - I posted it as a new thread. I haven't even installed anything and already one problem after another ...

Kiru

Stephen
09-14-2003, 07:49 PM
This is the most stupid feature of IE I have seen so far, to download a 700M file, one needs to have 1.4G space available, I just don't know what is in their mind when they design this, especially there is no suspend/resume, what for ?

It is not just IE it is every program and it does not matter if you are saving to another partition with plenty of room you still need the space on the C: drive.

rickenbacherus
09-15-2003, 12:48 AM
Now I have a different problem - I posted it as a new thread. I haven't even installed anything and already one problem after another ...

Kiru

I read your other post. I notice that so far your problems were all w/ M$ ;)

Do yourself a favor and read some of the documentation. Life will be much easier.