PDA

View Full Version : I get an error when using apt-get

Ryan_Singer
09-14-2003, 10:16 AM
When ever trying to install a new application, it get the following error:

E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

So, as it suggests, I run apt-get -f install...no good, I get this error:

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Any suggestions? I am new to debian, have been using linux off and on for about three years, still consider myself a beginner. I upgraded my machine to unstable after performing a knx-hdinstall using the directions on debian.org . Any help would be appreciated.-Ryan

garyng
09-14-2003, 11:09 AM
welcome to the dark side of apt-get.

There isn't very much you can do. you may try to first remove xlibs-dev and try again. You see this error because the package maintainers(of both packages) both include the file in question which dpkg don't like(it wants to be sure that every file in the system belongs to only one package, based on my limited knowledge of it). May be there is a command line option that can tell dpkg to ignore this condition.

I would like to know the answer too.

Fabianx
09-14-2003, 11:59 AM
welcome to the dark side of apt-get.

There isn't very much you can do. you may try to first remove xlibs-dev and try again. You see this error because the package maintainers(of both packages) both include the file in question which dpkg don't like(it wants to be sure that every file in the system belongs to only one package, based on my limited knowledge of it). May be there is a command line option that can tell dpkg to ignore this condition.

I would like to know the answer too.

"If you have nothing to loose" ;-) do the following:

cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
dpkg --force-overwrite -i package_inquestion.deb

Then both packages will be installed, but of course the file will be overwritten.

There are other solutions possible with dpkg-divert, but those should be used more by package-developers like me ;-).

cu

Fabian

Ryan_Singer
09-14-2003, 08:49 PM
Fixed. I slept for the night, then used netselect to get a new mirror, ran apt-get update, and then ran apt-get -f install . I don't know how it worked, or why, but it did and I now have apt-get back and working again. I guess that's why they call it unstable.-Ryan

Superstoned
09-15-2003, 03:41 PM
unstable indeed ;)

but most of the time the problems get fixed quick. So I can handle it... just dont upgrade your system if you have to finish an important document for tomorow ;-)