PDA

View Full Version : K3B

jojopara
09-14-2003, 06:57 PM
M3B in the 5th Sep. 2003 Knoppix 3.2 doesn't work. On starting it, a message pops up telling that cdrecord has to be installed. What should be done?

rickenbacherus
09-15-2003, 12:58 AM
Do this:

cdrecord -version

If cdrecord does show up as installed then you likely need to point k3b to it.

Gnu Penguin
09-15-2003, 08:29 PM
My question is similar to that of jojopara.
I downloaded V3.2-2003-09-05-EN.
I ran K3b setup as root and added a user called Knoppix.

I was able to burn a CD as root, but as user, I was unable to do so.
As user, K3b could not find my burner device, and was unable to find the program cdrecord.

As root, I was able to burn a cd, and I am now posting this using the Live version of V3.2-2003-09-05-EN.

Am I using the wrong name for "user" in K3b setup?
On a somewhat related note...

DUH...How do you mount a data CD as user? I am only able to mount audio CDs. I obviously have a lot to learn about Linux.

rickenbacherus
09-15-2003, 09:13 PM
My question is similar to that of jojopara.
I downloaded V3.2-2003-09-05-EN.
I ran K3b setup as root and added a user called Knoppix.

I was able to burn a CD as root, but as user, I was unable to do so.
As user, K3b could not find my burner device, and was unable to find the program cdrecord.

As root, I was able to burn a cd, and I am now posting this using the Live version of V3.2-2003-09-05-EN.

Am I using the wrong name for "user" in K3b setup?
On a somewhat related note...

DUH...How do you mount a data CD as user? I am only able to mount audio CDs. I obviously have a lot to learn about Linux.

Not sure about setting up k3b when running from cd but it sounds like cdrecord simply isn't in your path.

It is quite impossible to mount an audio disc because there is no file structure on an audio cd. To mount a data disc simply do:

sudo mount /dev/scd0 /cdrom (for example)

cdrecord -scanbus will show you where the drives are opn the SCSI BUS. Yes your ide drives are on the SCSI bus due to the use of SCSI emulation.

Gnu Penguin
09-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Rickenbacherus writes:

Not sure about setting up k3b when running from cd but it sounds like cdrecord simply isn't in your path.

I guess my question was misunderstood. I had a hdinstall of Knoppix_V3.2-2003-07-26-EN.
Using it, even after running K3b setup as root and setting up a user "knoppix",
I could only burn Knoppix_V3.2-2003-09-05-EN.ISO as root, and was unable to do so as user...

Now, I have burned the ISO as root, and I have now done a hdinstall of Knoppix_V3.2-2003-09-05-EN.

But the question remains. How do I burn a disk using K3b as user?
As user, even after running K3b setup, K3b could not find my burner device, and was unable to find the program cdrecord.
As root I have no problem finding either.

No big deal, but I really prefer not to do such things as root.
Any suggestions?

rickenbacherus
09-16-2003, 10:50 PM
OK so to investigate a little further I went ahead and install k3b on my own box. When I ran it for the first time (as user) this is what I got

cdrecord does not run with root privileges
cdrecord needs to run with root privileges to be able to access the cd devices, use real time scheduling, and set a non-standard fifo buffer. This is also true when using SuSE's resmgr.
Solution: Use K3bSetup to solve this problem.
cdrdao does not run with root privileges
cdrdao needs to run with root privileges to be able to access the cd devices and use real time scheduling.This is also true when using SuSE's resmgr.
Solution: Use K3bSetup to solve this problem.

OK so run k3b setup..
sudo k3bsetup

On Step2 under the Programs tab it shows /usr/bin/cdrdao, /usr/bin/cdrecord, /usr/bin/mkisofs, /usr/bin/normalize, /usr/bin/readcd. You may have more apps installed but I beleive these are the bare minimum requirements.

Step3
It shows my cdrw drive. There are options to 'Add Device' or 'Refresh' or you can even manually enter your drive if it isn't detected.

Step5 Add your user name here. Make sure "let k3b make changes' is checked and hit next.
You can see wjhat k3b is about to do like so:

These are the permission changes K3b Setup will perform and why:

change permission for cdrecord, mksiofs, and cdrdao to 4710
cdrecord and cdrdao require write access to all the CD drives and have all three programs run with higher priority. That is why they need to be run as root.
add cdrecord, mkisofs, and cdrdao to group 'cdrecording'
not everybody should be allowed to execute these programs since running a program as suid root is always a security risk.
add the selected users to group 'cdrecording'
these users will be able to run cdrecord, mkisofs, and cdrdao
change permission for all detected SCSI drives to 660
K3b requires write access to the SCSI CD drives in order to detect writing speed, for example
change permission for all detected ATAPI drives to 620
K3b only requires read access to the ATAPI drives since it is not (yet) able to detect speed and other parameters for ATAPI devices.
add all detected devices to group 'cdrecording'
since write access to devices is always a security risk (although one cannot do much harm with writing to a CD device), only the selected users will be able to access the drives

Step6
Hit finish.

All settings have been saved.
If you added new user to your config you may need to login again to let the changes take effect.
If the configuration of your system changes, just run K3b Setup again.
Thank you for using K3b. Have a lot of fun!

You may also need to do this:

Setting>Configure K3B

Gnu Penguin
09-17-2003, 03:09 PM
Ah, now we're getting somewhere...

Rickenbacherus writes:
Step5 Add your user name here. Make sure "let k3b make changes' is checked and hit next.

My question pertains mainly to Step 5. What do I type for user name? Is the stock user name "knoppix" "knoppix user" or what is it? I am using "knoppix" and it does not work for me.

Can I assume that you have entered a user name here and K3b works for you as user?

Related question (once I have figured out what the stock "user" is):
How do I add a new user and then delete the standard one?

Also, I feel badly that I "horned in" on this topic, and I am not sure whether Jojopara's original question was answered. I believe that if Jojopara runs K3b setup as root like Rickenbacherus details above, then it should work for him. Though I have done a hdinstall of version 2003-09-05-EN, I haven't yet run K3b setup on this version. My experience has been with 2003-07-26-EN, but it should work the same.

By the way, Rickenbacherus, thank you for your help.

rickenbacherus
09-17-2003, 04:55 PM
Ah, now we're getting somewhere...

Rickenbacherus writes:[quote]Step5 Add your user name here. Make sure "let k3b make changes' is checked and hit next.

My question pertains mainly to Step 5. What do I type for user name? Is the stock user name "knoppix" "knoppix user" or what is it? I am using "knoppix" and it does not work for me.

Indeed it does work just fine.

[quote]Related question (once I have figured out what the stock "user" is):
How do I add a new user and then delete the standard one?

Become root then do adduser

I dunno- try another username perhaps. if there is indeed a user by the name of knoppix I would think it should work.