PDA

View Full Version : SPEEDTOUCH USB ADSL

Jwizzman
01-23-2003, 01:43 AM
How the hell do i connect to the internet with my modem?
I know i have to edit something in the root but it's read only so i can't do this however...i've heard there was another way to install the drivers or whatever i need to do to get the thing to work.
PLEASE HELP

Loper
01-23-2003, 04:57 AM
<snip>
How the hell do I connect to the internet with my modem?
</snip>

First thing you do: go to your provider and GET RID OF THAT USB MODEM! I cannot stress this enough! At DSL speeds, the overhead involved with USB takes a heavy toll on system resources. Once you get a network card and an Ethernet modem, not only will configuration be eased, but your performance (under both Linux AND Windows) will be DRASTICALLY improved.

Once THAT is done, let us know what happens.

Vince
01-27-2003, 02:30 PM
At DSL speeds, the overhead involved with USB takes a heavy toll on system resources.

You must be kidding, right ??? FYI, I have access to 4 such systems (the slowest one being a P2-233) and have never seen ANY so-called USB "overhead"... 512kb/s is NOT a huge speed at all, please don't post FUD if you're not willing to help :( .

As for the driver/configuration, http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net is what this guy is looking for...

Loper
01-30-2003, 08:36 PM
<snip>
..please don't post FUD if you're not willing to help...
</snip>

No FUD here ("Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt" for those who don't know the term -- a classic Microsoft tactic). Perhaps I could have used a disclaimer, like "your mileage may vary," but my complaint about USB IS valid -- both in my own experience AND from what I have read. It's variable based on hardware, drivers, implementation, and attached devices -- just look at the problems with USB sound implementation, which is MUCH less bandwith-intensive. Admittedly, a LOT of that variability is improved under USB 2.0 -- but I stand by my original reply.