PDA

View Full Version : Running DDclient without remaster. Who knows how?

ahfoo
09-16-2003, 09:18 AM
Searching the forums I run across a user named sweetzip who says it is possible, but I can't find this user.
I was originally whining about using dpkg to install DDclient. But subsequently I got the tarball and thought I was being quite clever until I discovered that I can't write to /usr/sbin at all. Is there any way around that?
For example, I noticed that I could overwrite files in /etc by simply deleting the originals first. Is there some similar trick to writing to /usr/sbin or perhaps an alternative method for installing DDClient.
Here's hoping, but I suspect this sweetzip person is not going to see this.
Oh well, can't hurt to try.

Fabianx
09-16-2003, 10:29 AM
Searching the forums I run across a user named sweetzip who says it is possible, but I can't find this user.
I was originally whining about using dpkg to install DDclient. But subsequently I got the tarball and thought I was being quite clever until I discovered that I can't write to /usr/sbin at all. Is there any way around that?
For example, I noticed that I could overwrite files in /etc by simply deleting the originals first. Is there some similar trick to writing to /usr/sbin or perhaps an alternative method for installing DDClient.
Here's hoping, but I suspect this sweetzip person is not going to see this.
Oh well, can't hurt to try.

Instructions:

cp ddclient to /home/knoppix/sbin or a similar directory ...

Change:

/etc/init.d/ddclient

and set:

DAEMON=/home/knoppix/sbin/ddclient

Congratulations, ddclient should work now :))

cu

Fabian

ahfoo
09-16-2003, 04:02 PM
No way! It's the amazing FabianX from the RAMDisk thread.
Well thanks for the advice my friend. It seems I do have it working and it's a real thrill to finally have both my old static sites and a bouncing baby PHP site going as well.
You've saved my much grief and a long journey has come to an end. Now a new one begins --intro to database management and PHP mods.
Just for the record, when looking through the file that comes with the DDClient-3.6.3 tarball called sample-etc-rd.d-init-d_ddclient I didn't see the exact line that you referred to.

DAEMON=/usr/sbin/ddclient

However, I did find something that look similar enough in concept which was a line that looked like this

PATH=/usr/sbin: ${PATH}

And I changed that to /knoppix/home which was the path where I had put the main ddclient script. I already had /etc/ddclient.conf in place and When I ran the script from the home directory, sure enough my sites were updated.
Success is success and I wouldn't have had the faith to keep plugging away withour your encouragement. Thank you once again for your kind help.