PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix Won't Boot for Me Either

kiru9867
09-16-2003, 10:54 PM
I burned three different versions of Knoppix (one for each of the versions posted on the Virginia Tech FTP site. One was the July version, the other two were the Sept. versions). Each one freezes during the boot, immediately after detecting and loading the drivers for the NeoMagic video/audio chip).

Since these were 3 different CDs burned from 3 different ISO files, and they freeze at exactly the same place, I don't think it's due to a problem with the CD medium or with an error in the ISO downloads. What would be the chances of having the same download error in exactly the same spot in 3 different files?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?

Kiru

rickenbacherus
09-17-2003, 12:05 AM
I burned three different versions of Knoppix (one for each of the versions posted on the Virginia Tech FTP site. One was the July version, the other two were the Sept. versions). Each one freezes during the boot, immediately after detecting and loading the drivers for the NeoMagic video/audio chip).

Since these were 3 different CDs burned from 3 different ISO files, and they freeze at exactly the same place, I don't think it's due to a problem with the CD medium or with an error in the ISO downloads.
FWIW- Neither do I.

What would be the chances of having the same download error in exactly the same spot in 3 different files? Slim to slimmer. ;)

If you checked the md5sums before burning and you booted with testcd and it returned ok then it almost has to be the chip that Knoppix is choking on. Mebbe this XFree86 link (http://xfree86.linuxwiki.org/neomagic) will provided some insight. I have seen a few posts here about neomagic but apparently Knoppix booted ok for those people. They only had problems w/ the cursor.