PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 9700 driver install?

pi
09-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Hi there!
I just installed Knoppix on HD and was going to install the ATI drivers next....
Now, I am not absolutely new to Linux, but my last Linux installation was SUSE 5...quite a bit ago :)
Anyway, I tried to install the ATI drivers for Xfree 4.3, but it just fails....
First it was complaining bout rpm folder not beeing available, after creating one (which I think is not the solution anyway) it just gave me a bunch of errors and failed.
BTW, I just double clicked the rpm file to install....

Is there even a way to install the Radeon drivers on knoppix or is it impossible?

Thx in advance!

Stephen
09-17-2003, 10:46 PM
Knoppix uses the Debian ( .deb ) package system to install a .rpm you have to use the program alien to convert and install the .rpm. The command as root would be alien -i the_file.rpm to convert and install. note: The .rpm may not install properly it depends on what the package needs you should look at the documents with the driver for instuctions on installing to a Debian system.

pi
09-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Thx Stephen, tried that but it failed.
I just alienized the stuff but when installing it told me this:

(Reading database ... 112986 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking fglrx-glc22 (from .../fglrx-glc22_4.3.0-4.2_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing //root/Desktop/fglrx-glc22_4.3.0-4.2_i386.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2', which is also in package xlibmesa4-gl
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
//root/Desktop/fglrx-glc22_4.3.0-4.2_i386.deb

Now, I tried this with X running and not running, both times the same (thought it might be locked somehow due to X running).

Btw, what I also noticed was that I can not update any packages with apt. I tried udate on KPackage, it will show me a list of all the updates but when trying to install just drops an error msg: exec failed: No such file or directory
This happens also to any package I am trying to uninstall.
Upgrades and Fixes on apt wont even show me a list of available stuff (guess Knoppix is not designed for that).

Anyway, help concerning that error msg when installing Radeon drivers would be apprectiated.

rcc
09-30-2003, 05:30 PM
I have exactly the same problem. Have you found a solution yet?

rcc
10-06-2003, 01:15 PM
You must use dpkg -i --force-overwrite fglrx-glc22_4.3.0-4.2_i386.deb

Then you might have to compile a kernl module, see readme file from ati