PDA

View Full Version : New Cluster Knoppix Released

dolphin
09-17-2003, 10:25 PM
Hi (yes, i'm still alive ;)

A new clusterknoppix has been released:

Changelog:

- Sync with latest Knoppix release (2003-09-05)
- Upgraded to kernel 2.4.22 and openmosix-1 release
- Upgraded to openmosix-user-0.3.4
- Upgraded to latest openmosixview
- Added libgtop2 libcommoncpp2-1.0-0c102
- Added chpox-0.5
- Added Gomd CVS 20030917

Download:

http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/download.htm (only 1 mirror at the moment)

--Wim

A. Jorge Garcia
09-17-2003, 11:40 PM
I haven't had a chance to play with ClusterKnoppix as yet, but it sounds very interesting. Just curious, how much did you have to remove from KNOPPIX 20030905, what did you remove exactly and what do you add?

TIA,

Stephen
09-18-2003, 12:15 AM
I have split your posts to a new topic.

dolphin
10-04-2003, 11:34 AM
A new version of clusterknoppix is out

Changelog:

- Sync with latest Knoppix release
- updated gomd to 0.1beta
- removed openoffice
- upgraded gcc to 3.3.2
- fixed the terminalserver + etherboot bug
- added a working bcm4400 driver

http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix

A full list with what packages are in clusterknoppix can also be found on that page.

The stuff I have removed from normal knoppix is:

auctex emacs21 gettext-el tetex-base tetex-bin tetex-extra emacs21-common emacsen-common selflinux openoffice-de-en

Stuff I added:

Openmosix openmosixview kandel povray gomd chpox

audioaficionado
10-06-2003, 06:41 AM
Does this one have auto detection & drivers for nForce2 motherboard onboard NIC?

Lack of nVidia chipset/NIC drivers has been a problem with the regular Knoppix releases.

dolphin
10-06-2003, 01:19 PM
Does this one have auto detection & drivers for nForce2 motherboard onboard NIC?

Lack of nVidia chipset/NIC drivers has been a problem with the regular Knoppix releases.

I don't think so. besides the openmosix stuff, it uses the same kernel config as regular knoppix.

audioaficionado
10-06-2003, 02:34 PM
I don't think so. besides the openmosix stuff, it uses the same kernel config as regular knoppix.

That's a rotten shame that a lot of people who have nForce2 motherboards are going to be left out of being able to use Knoppix online.

Arkaine23's Overclockix works but I'd also have liked to keep using standard or cluster Knoppix or too.

dolphin
10-07-2003, 12:28 PM

That's a rotten shame that a lot of people who have nForce2 motherboards are going to be left out of being able to use Knoppix online.

Arkaine23's Overclockix works but I'd also have liked to keep using standard or cluster Knoppix or too.

If you have any pointers where I can find those drivers I can offcourse include it in my next release ;-)

audioaficionado
10-07-2003, 08:46 PM
nVidia has the source code on their Linux driver page. You'll have to compile it so Knoppix can auto detect and install durring boot. Arkaine23 already did this in Overclockix. Maybe you could get his ISO and just extract the compiled binary. I know it works great for my Abit NF7-S nForce2 motherboard's onboard NIC chip.

A. Jorge Garcia
10-28-2003, 01:32 AM
Alextreme also had nvidia running in MORPHIX.

Regards,

dolphin
11-06-2003, 11:27 AM
audioaficionado,

I'm preparing a new version, could you send me a mail if you want to betatest this one with the nforce drivers?

You can find my mail on http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/

(the private message system on this board doesn't seem to work)

pkarlos_76
11-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Can we get the kernel headers for clusterknoppix so we can compile the nvidia drivers?

arkaine23
11-19-2003, 02:02 AM
kernel headers = nice if you can fit them.

Nforce2 drivers were pretty easy in my remaster of 3.2 knoppix. Just compile src and that's it.

I was going to take regular knoppix 3.3 and make a fresh version of my remaster, Overclockix from that. But I was sort of waiting for some remasters of 3.3 to become available and for a few bug fixes in the standard 3.3 release. Now, clusterknoppix seems like such a better base to start from. Really the only major things I do are desktop tweaking and package selection.

I'd like to take cluster knoppix and add some packages to it for distributed computing clients. It wouldn't really use the mosix stuff but the terminal services and PXE auto-detection would be very nice for people who love to fold@home or crunch seti@home.

Recipe for Overclockix-
I added about 20 or so scripts for managing some DC clients (seti, folding, prime). I added some memtest and cpuburn and other such stress testers for diskless burn-ins. I also added the fabianX f-prot and install nvidia and ati driver scripts but I've never really tested those personally.

The rest is desktop customization- removing some junk, adding firebird, mplayer, ogle, webmin, gftp, bittorrent, unstable gaim, opera, ncftp, aterm, eterm, background pics, custom KDE splashscreen, color themes, icon themes, transperant terms in all windowmanagers, disabling the help webpage from autostarting, adding packages like karamba, tweaking options in KDE, fluxbox, and icewm, etc.

A few extra drivers- lt-winmodem package, intel/ambient 536ep modem driver, bcm4400 and 5700, nforce2.

Enabling a folding@home and vncserver service to run at startup. Editing the default cheatocdes to use slightly higher resolution and search for persistent home, default window manager of icewm, editing knoppix-autoconfig so that it does not stop and ask to retry if aes256 encryption doesn't work for finding a persistent home on the first try, editing the installer scripts to install folding and vnc services, require smaller minimum root partition size (so I can fit it onto 2GB hdd's), and use a custom boot logo.

I also implemented a fix for wine where there was a problem with the fonts path (back in 3.2 version anyway).

Probably some more things I can't think of off hand. So you see this a little too much to request, and I think I'll remaster it myself, but give credit to your team.

How big is the newest iso?

Since you obviously did some work on the kernel, is it possible to add i2c support?

For PXE-booted clients, is there a way I could have several clients running a process and recording the output into different directories on the server's hdd. Then have each client resume where it left off if it was rebooted?

arkaine23
12-12-2003, 04:52 AM
Nvidia Nforce2 NICs can't be PXE-booted by a Linux Terminal Server. So using clusterKnoppix on Nforce2 boards only works if each has a CD to boot from.

charlesfan
05-17-2004, 08:28 AM
base on Knoppix 3.4 Just another cluster Knoppix released~!

now comes with kernel 2.6.6 (remaster would love it) :lol:

- clusterKNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-10-EN-cl1 - 2004-05-15

MD5SUM - dc3a81afbec86673ebf23de615f4941b

- upgraded to "testing" openmosix 2.4.26-om
- upgraded gomd to CVS 20040508
- fixed terminalserver/vmware problem in Knopper's release
- added yafray, update-cluster
- added host-ap, prism54
- added support for Atheros Wireless, Cisco MPI 350 wireless (madwifi/airo-mpi)
- upgraded chpox to 0.6b2
- upgraded tyd to 1.1
- upgraded kernel 2.6.5 to 2.6.6 (vanilla kernel, no openmosix kernel)
- added openmosixview icon and openMosix menu (rather empty atm ;-)
- updated logo

aay
05-17-2004, 07:22 PM
base on Knoppix 3.4 Just another cluster Knoppix released~!

now comes with kernel 2.6.6 (remaster would love it) :lol:

- clusterKNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-10-EN-cl1 - 2004-05-15

MD5SUM - dc3a81afbec86673ebf23de615f4941b

- upgraded to "testing" openmosix 2.4.26-om
- upgraded gomd to CVS 20040508
- fixed terminalserver/vmware problem in Knopper's release
- added yafray, update-cluster
- added host-ap, prism54
- added support for Atheros Wireless, Cisco MPI 350 wireless (madwifi/airo-mpi)
- upgraded chpox to 0.6b2
- upgraded tyd to 1.1
- upgraded kernel 2.6.5 to 2.6.6 (vanilla kernel, no openmosix kernel)
- added openmosixview icon and openMosix menu (rather empty atm ;-)
- updated logo

It would appear that clusterknoppix is doing a good job in adding lots of different wireless drivers. Hopefully Knoppix will folllow suit.

A. Jorge Garcia
05-17-2004, 10:45 PM
I just tried out the latest clusterKNOPPIX CD and it looks great! Just one thing, when I end session on the liveCD the CD won't pop out, what's that all about?

Also, I have several QUANTIAN hdinstalls. It seems to me that clusterKNOPPIX is a lot more like KNOPPIX than QUANTIAN is. I'm thinking of running clusterKNOPPIX as a hdinstall instead. I'm wondering if it installs to the hdd like KNOPPIX or like QUANTIAN? Do I have to add the /mfs dir and mfs entries to /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab for openmosix to work as I did with QUANTIAN?

I'm thinking clusterKNOPPIX may run smoother than QUANTIAN as its based on the latest KNOPPIX 3.4 release. I like the QUANTIAN philosophy of tons of math and science apps but I have had a few wierd bugs with my QUANTIAN hdinstalls. Maybe its a bit overpowered? One example: every now and then the fsck comes up for no reason (more often than usual) and then I have to reboot with ^D before it boots correctly. I have half my lab hdinstalled QUANTIAN and the other half KNOPPIX 3.4, I'd like to have a more uniform debian install. Another example, is that my video output wavers, again seemingly randomly and not often, but its an issue for my users.

TIA,
AJG

A. Jorge Garcia
05-22-2004, 02:39 AM
OK, I've been playing with hdinstalls of QUANTIAN and clusterKNOPPIX. Both have problems when installed to hdd, but run fine from cdd. I'm about to give up on hdinstalls of these remasters and go back to a pile of liveCDs instead. Here's one last query that maybe you guys can help me with.

When I knoppix-installed QUANTIAN (based on clusterKNOPPIX based on KNOPPIX 3.3) on 12 test PCs, openmosix and threaded apps worked great. However, the installation was a bit buggy for everyday use. For example, several of these PCs would perform fsck everytime they booted into Linux! Many times these fsck would fail and end up in a text only root shell. The only thing to do then was ^D to logout and reboot. Then it might boot-up OK or it might go to fsck again -- very annoying....

When I knoppix-installed clusterKNOPPIX (based on KNOPPIX 3.4 2004.0504) on another 12 PCs on the same LAN, openmosixview would see all the nodes, but they did not thread properly. For example, when running Kandel for 12 processors, the processes would not migrate and Kandel would stop execution prematurely! However, this latest clusterKNOPPIX (2004.0510 final) was much better behaved for everyday use. In fact, I've had no major problems with multiple users everyday and mutiple dual reboots!

Oh, another problem is that apt-get worked fine in the clusterKNOPPIX hdinstalls, but apt-get was broken from the get go in the QUANTIAN hdinstalls.

So how do I get hdinstalls that work well for every day use, work well with apt-get and work well with muliply threaded apps all at the same time - or is this just a dream?

TIA,
AJG

barrywardell
05-22-2004, 11:00 PM
Regarding the inclusion of nforce2 NIC drivers, the forcedeth (http://www.hailfinger.org/carldani/linux/patches/forcedeth/) driver is included with 2.6.5 and 2.4.26, and works perfectly with my nforce2 NIC. It actually seems better than the official NVIDIA ones. And it's released under the GPL.

evermuse
06-01-2004, 09:51 PM

have you tried using the new live installer? ie: in the knoppix menu (under utilities) there is a new option to install software while running from the cd... this includes nvidia drivers.. from what i understand there is some legal issue with including these on the cd.. i could be wrong about that...auto detection would be nice
also...
for a hard drive install you can simply run the script on
http://www.kano.mipooh.net
i dont use the same mainboard you use but i have nvidia cards in two boxes here and those options work great for me
-Rob
ps: cluster knoppix is a blast... thanks to those responsible! I <3 my cluster

EDIT: wow... i read over that really fast i was thinking video drivers
woops