PDA

View Full Version : Synaptic

Fortran
09-18-2003, 05:55 PM
Hi guys,
Sorry, a bit off topic but Im totally stuck. Just installed knoppix to my hd yesterday and also installed synaptic. However, I downloaded 2 things today with synaptic "rutebook" and "cookbook". They both downloaded fine and in the synaptic list it says they are both installed, but where the HELL are they????? I have searched for them for ages, looked in the etc/apt folder, used the search function and searched for *.doc and rutebook and cookbook, but I cant find them anywhere??? Im sorry, but im a complete linux beginner, and was hoping to use these files to learn some stuff, but I cant even find them to do that!!! Is there anybody that can tell me where stuff downloaded/installed with synaptic ends up ? I cant seem to find these files anywhere>

Thanks to anybody that can help me.

All the best

Fortran

Dave_Bechtel
09-18-2003, 10:15 PM
' dpkg -L cookbook | less ' == Gives you a listing of the files inside the pkg. This is how I found the BitTorrent files. :) Sometimes you can ' |grep bin ' to see where the binaries went.

Hi guys,
Sorry, a bit off topic but Im totally stuck. Just installed knoppix to my hd yesterday and also installed synaptic. However, I downloaded 2 things today with synaptic "rutebook" and "cookbook". They both downloaded fine and in the synaptic list it says they are both installed, but where the HELL are they????? I have searched for them for ages, looked in the etc/apt folder, used the search function and searched for *.doc and rutebook and cookbook, but I cant find them anywhere??? Im sorry, but im a complete linux beginner, and was hoping to use these files to learn some stuff, but I cant even find them to do that!!! Is there anybody that can tell me where stuff downloaded/installed with synaptic ends up ? I cant seem to find these files anywhere>

Thanks to anybody that can help me.

All the best

Fortran

rickenbacherus
09-18-2003, 11:10 PM
As root do:

updatedb

locate rutebook

/usr/share/doc/rutebook

Since it's HTML you can of course view it with a browser.

phillfri
09-19-2003, 02:36 AM
I'm also new to Knoppix, but have the same problem with Synaptic. It will download the package I want to update, and further claim that its has installed the package - but in reality it has not installed (even if I run it from a root console). I've had to revert to "apt-get install Packagename" from a root console to actually do the installation.

I also note that Synaptic cannot access my Repository file on my hard drive either. My repository file is there (I've viewed it using Midnight Commander), but Synaptic can't access it. I wonder if there is an issue with permissions?

Being into Linux for about 10 days now, I pose more questions than I do answers, sorry :>) But at least I can confirm your experience.

fingers99
09-20-2003, 06:11 PM
phillfri -- are you running Synaptic as root?