PDA

View Full Version : cdrom and dvd issues.

knoppixnewb
09-19-2003, 05:57 AM
hi all!

i have done the knx-hdinstall and all is well except.
having trouble with knoppix finding my cd drives (1 burner and a dvd player).

recent upgrade to 3.3 and i still can't get my burner and DVD to work :roll:

Dave_Bechtel
09-20-2003, 09:33 PM
--What does ' cdrecord -scanbus ' return?

hi all!

i have done the knx-hdinstall and all is well except i have no sound. i get this error when i run sndconfig in a terminal:- error no sound module in kernel no such file ?????.so you must have sound modules compiled in order to use sndconfig. my sound card is an VIA AC'97 card and knoppix uses (when booted from the live cd) the driver "ac86xxx" can anybody tell me how to import the exact settings from the live cd to my hard drive? or how to fix this probelm another way? any help would be apreciated.

thanks...

ps..i also am having trouble with knoppix finding my cd drives (1 burner and a dvd player).

forget it! i solved the problem :D

but i still can't get my burner and DVD to work :roll:

m_yates
09-24-2003, 04:01 AM
I had the problem with CD/RW and DVD using knx-hdinstall on version 3.2 (9-5-03). My CD/RW is IDE master and worked after install. My DVD drive is IDE slave and did not work. I found that the DVD had the wrong symbolic link. After install, "ls -al /dev/dvd" returned "/dev/dvd -> /KNOPPIX/dev/dvd". I fixed it by:

rm -f /dev/dvd
ln -s /dev/scd1 /dev/dvd

Now I can play movies on Mplayer!

knoppixnewb
10-09-2003, 07:02 AM
hi!

sory i have been gone for ages but i was hanging on for 3.3 and.....erm....problem is still there.

this is what i get with the command "cdrecord -scanbus"

0,0,0 0) 'DVD_ROM' '16X' '5.cv' Removable CD_ROM.
0,1,0 1) 'CDWriter' 'IDE5224' '001H' Removable CD_ROM

of course there, are a bunch of blank lines. but i could not be bothered to type them all in. (freeeeeeekin winmodem).

hope you can help Dave!!

Stephen
10-09-2003, 07:25 AM
hi!

sory i have been gone for ages but i was hanging on for 3.3 and.....erm....problem is still there.

this is what i get with the command "cdrecord -scanbus"

0,0,0 0) 'DVD_ROM' '16X' '5.cv' Removable CD_ROM.
0,1,0 1) 'CDWriter' 'IDE5224' '001H' Removable CD_ROM

of course there, are a bunch of blank lines. but i could not be bothered to type them all in. (freeeeeeekin winmodem).

hope you can help Dave!!

Your drives are there so it is just a matter of having the correct lines in the /etc/fstab, they should look like this:

/dev/scd0 /dvd iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd1 /cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0

You would have to edit the /etc/fstab file as root and add the lines or modify them if they already exist and you would then have to mkdir dvd as root in the / directory from a console window.

cd / then
mkdir dvd

Then after having made the changes you would right click on the desktop and create the shortcut icons for the drives and you will be able to access them. If you have problems could you post the /etc/fstab file so we can see it.

knoppixnewb
10-09-2003, 08:11 AM
thanks.

here is my fstab. i do not understand what you where saying.

# /etc/fstab: file system table
#
#file system mount point type options dump pass
/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount -ro 01
/dev/hda6 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,noexc,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
#added by knoppix
/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0

thats the lot hope it helps
:wink:

Stephen
10-09-2003, 09:17 AM
You file should look like this after editing as root:

# /etc/fstab: file system table
#
#file system mount point type options dump pass
/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount -ro 01
/dev/hda6 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,noexc,umask=022 0 0
/dev/scd0 /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd1 /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
#added by knoppix
/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0

Then you would still have to make the /dvd directory as root if it does not exist and everything should work. To check for the directory open a console window (clam shell icon on the taskbar) and ls -l /dvd if it says file does not exist then su enter type in your root password enter again then cd / and enter next mkdir dvd enter once again and the directory will have been created then make your shortcuts on the desktop. BTW what do you have on the /dev/hda7 partition?

knoppixnewb
10-09-2003, 10:40 AM
thanks heaps.

just a general question though. why the scd0? i already know that cdrw's use scsi emulation (assuming that scd resembles scsi devices) but why use scd0 for my DVD drive? and how does linux use the fstab, does it just point the kernal to my hardware? if so how? of course if you could provide a link explaining all of this it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your help.

Stephen
10-09-2003, 08:29 PM
thanks heaps.

just a general question though. why the scd0? i already know that cdrw's use scsi emulation (assuming that scd resembles scsi devices) but why use scd0 for my DVD drive? and how does linux use the fstab, does it just point the kernal to my hardware? if so how? of course if you could provide a link explaining all of this it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your help.

It is the real device everything else is linked to it on my computer for my burner:

[04:00 PM Thu Oct 09: stephen @ ~]
>$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 2003-10-09 15:55 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/cdrom0
>$ ls -l /dev/cdrom0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2003-10-09 15:55 /dev/cdrom0 -> /dev/scd0
>$ ls -l /dev/scd0
brwxrwxrwx 1 stephen root 11, 0 2002-03-14 17:54 /dev/scd0

As you can see /dev/cdrom is linked to /dev/cdrom0 which in turn is linked to the actual block device /dev/scd0. The reason for using /dev/scd0 for the DVD is it's the first scsi emulated device seen by the OS when you scanned the bus with cdrecord so that is what device you have to use to access it. The reason I use it in the /etc/fstab and when accessing from the command line is when you install programs that use it sometimes they mess up the symbolic links like for example k3b and put all kinds of junk in the /etc/fstab that interfers with access to the device if not done right, using the actual device eliminates the middle man so to speak and will always give you access not matter how bad things get messed up.

When Linux needs to access a device like a cdrom or hard drive it looks to the /etc/fstab for the proper settings and mount points to use.

A couple of links:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-2.html

knoppixnewb
10-10-2003, 04:12 AM
just the kind of thing i was looking for. it has helped heaps thank's.