PDA

View Full Version : New to Linux

Leviathan
09-19-2003, 06:36 AM
First of all, I am totally new to Linux. With that said. . .I downloaded the iso image of Knoppix and burned it to a CD.

My computer wouldn't boot it from the CD right so I created a boot disk.
This worked and Knoppix booted up ok except for one error message. Everytime I boot up it says:

You passed an undefined mode number
I press RETURN and it comes up with:

Video Adapter VESA VOA
Then it gives me 6 choices of different modes and I select 0, and it usually boots up right. Sometimes though it will come up:

Probing SCSI. . .aic7xxx.o
and freezes there.

Also I can't get my configuration to save. I went to K>Knoppix>Save Configuration and I saved it to the floppy drive. Then I rebooted and typed Knoppix floppyconf and it didn't work.

Any help would be great, Thanks

Stephen
09-19-2003, 09:07 AM
Try using the cheat code (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) knoppix vga=normal noscsi xvrefresh=60 you may want to look at some other codes like screen & xmodule for your video card as well.

Leviathan
09-19-2003, 10:33 PM
Ok I got it to boot without an error and I also got it to save my configuration on my boot floppy.

The only thing is that the config didnt save my resolution.

I went to the Control Center and went to the Display Settings. It doesn't have a name and model for my screen (I am using a Gateway laptop), so It has Monitor0 and I click on that and change the setting from 640x480 to 1024x768 and then save my config and next time I boot it is back on 640x480.

Thanks

Stephen
09-19-2003, 11:20 PM
Did you try screen=1024x678 as a cheat before you saved the configuration to the floppy? You may also want to try fb1024x768 as a cheat code to get the proper screen you want.

Leviathan
09-20-2003, 06:08 AM
I tried both the screen= and fb and neither one of them would boot with 1024x768 resolution. Nothing will work right because I can't see the whole thing because it is bigger than the screen.

Does anybody know how to save your resolution settings?