PDA

View Full Version : How to add password protection ?

eporue
01-23-2003, 07:33 AM
I have played with the floppyconfig option, and now I have all my e-mail settings, all my cookies, and all my bookmarks in the floppydisk.

But I was wondering if it is possible to change the settings, so I get the system to ask for a password before giving me access to all my settings. I am afraid that if the floppy falls in the wrong hands, they could have access to all my information, including e-mail access.

I tried to change the password for root and for the knoppix user via the Konsole, but although I was succesfull, still, no password is required during boot.

Any suggestion ??

Thanks.

eadz
01-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Hi there,
You have a good point.
However, adding a password isn't going to help you if your floppy falls in the wrong hands as the data isn't encrypted. I think the latest knx_persistant_home has encryption support ( it was in the changelog) but i havn't tested it.

eporue
01-24-2003, 04:24 AM
But still the problem is the same.... how to set up a password ???

And even without persistent home, it is much much better to have a simple pass than nothing. If the disk is found by someone, the pass will stop them in 99 % of the cases.

Because I am thinking about creating my own disk, so it would boot completely open with my IMAP email accounts ready and no password protection at all .... not very secure .....