PDA

View Full Version : Nero 6 makes me cranky.

Athauglas
09-19-2003, 09:17 PM
for whatever reason, Nero is refusing to burn KNOPPIX from the .iso -

using an Imation CD-R 700MB disc, no matter what prefernces i change, Nero will eject the disc and tell me i need one with larger capacity. I am an experienced user, and Nero has never let me down before, so this is a sad day. :(

I'm off to try some other apps, but if anyone has ideas about how to fix this, please let me know.

Oh yeah, I'm new around here, so hello everyone!

eco2geek
09-19-2003, 09:54 PM
You might check for a firmware upgrade for your CD-R drive from Nero's compatibility page (http://www.nero.com/us/recorders.php). Someone else was having the same problem in another thread, and that turned out to be his problem.

donl
09-19-2003, 10:05 PM
Welcome new guy.....

Athauglas
09-20-2003, 03:08 AM
well, it turns out there was new firmware for my drive (lite-on 52-24-52), and it seemed promising. the update is said to improve stability for overburning.

BUT...

installing it messed up nero, which had to be reinstalled too. then, the updated firmware eliminated most of my burn speed options. i used to be able to burn at just about any speed up to 52x, but now i am limited to either 4x, 8x, or top speed. Grar! :evil:

I have a few other ideas - namely i will try roxio (sob). i may also try a different brand of cd, although i dont think that will make a difference.

but first thing's first - i going back to my old firmware. my cds can be burned at 32x at most, 52x is waaay too fast and 8x is out of the question...

Athauglas
09-20-2003, 03:13 AM
firmware is a permanent upgrade. i have to wait for them to release another update. :shock:

::sound of head smacking wall::

Athauglas
09-20-2003, 03:55 AM
well, i tried using roxio, and it burned the cd first try. sounds like nero is to blame, so im gonna have a look around their webpage for some answers (hopefully)

bitey
09-20-2003, 03:05 PM
I don't know if this is relevant, but when I burn Knoppix with Nero I get a message about the disk capacity also. However, it doesn't say it can't burn the CD; it just says the CD will have to be finalized.

Also check Ahead's web site to see if you have the latest update to Nero (free).

eco2geek
09-20-2003, 10:43 PM
Did some searching on Google, and found others have had this same problem with your Lite-On 52x24x52x drive, here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/archive/topic/69594.html

Short version is to disable Smartburn in Nero, or use media that's certified to work at higher speeds (I didn't know this, but apparently Nero checks the blank CD-R).

You can also find the older firmware here (http://www.raichu.de/Firmware/downloads/Firmware/brenner/Liteon/52246s/R526S0D.zip), if you wish to downgrade. Although maybe that's not such a good idea. :oops:

I've never had a problem with Nero. With Roxio, on the other hand, I had an older version of EZ CD Creator that I uninstalled, and it wiped out a very important Windows driver, leaving me unable to start Windows. Feh.

Athauglas
09-21-2003, 12:36 AM
eco2geek - thanks for the links. aside from the 17 pop ads, its nice to know that the older firmware is still there. however two things have happened:

1st, as far i can tell, upgrading firmware is permanent. as of this morning though, that is not bad.

i tried setting up something to burn before putting in my cd, and all of my burn speed options were there. so yea, it is smart burn. nice to know, and i alreadyt know how to disable it should i need to.

but this doesnt really fix my main problem, which is for some reason, Nero complains that the cd is too small. no option to continue burning, no matter what i do. its different from the other people's problem where nero asks them to finalize the disc. my nero just ejects it and tells me to bugger off =)

Roxio on the other hand, had no problems with it whatsoever, so now i have my knoppix disc and almost all s well in happy land.

i will continue to experiement with nero and look throught their website for stuff.

thanks for the help everyone.

sxm20
09-21-2003, 08:06 AM
After wasting 8 hours in trying diferent cd writers, firmware upgrades etc I finally figured it out that there is a bug in Nero 6.0.0.15. I downloaded Nero6patch.exe and applied the patch. I have this patch, if anybody needs it let me know. I ll upload it on my FTP Server. I created the CD successfully and it works like a champ.
I have a little problem that it doesn't detect my inbuilt wireless card. I am running it on Dell Latitude C640.
Thanks for everybody for the support I got on this forum.

Did some searching on Google, and found others have had this same problem with your Lite-On 52x24x52x drive, here:

Short version is to disable Smartburn in Nero, or use media that's certified to work at higher speeds (I didn't know this, but apparently Nero checks the blank CD-R).

You can also find the older firmware here (http://www.raichu.de/Firmware/downloads/Firmware/brenner/Liteon/52246s/R526S0D.zip), if you wish to downgrade. Although maybe that's not such a good idea. :oops:

I've never had a problem with Nero. With Roxio, on the other hand, I had an older version of EZ CD Creator that I uninstalled, and it wiped out a very important Windows driver, leaving me unable to start Windows. Feh.

ktheking
09-21-2003, 03:51 PM
This would be much,much easier if you would have bought a Plextor .
Plextor rulezzz in writerworld.... .
Problems on reading of writing something ,go to a friend who has a plextor and be amazed.
(no i don't have actions in plextor nor do I work there).
Btw.. plextor was the LAST to bring out a DVD writer.. Why you think ????
Btw ..plextor last's cd writer can write 1,2 GB on single cd !!!!! .

I rest my case.... 8)

Athauglas
09-21-2003, 07:54 PM
sxm20 - patch? sounds like a plan.

ktheking - back up what you say with facts, and i might listen to you.for now though, i am very happy with my lite-on. i have never burned a coaster, its fast, its quiet, and best of all, its much cheaper than the plexies. my 52x burner cost me just $45.

as for why they didnt release a DVD burner, well, i dunno. marketing blunder? couldnt decide which format? development problems?

1.2GB on a cd? please. the most i have ever been able to overburn a disc was 91 mins (up from 80), but even if i say it was 99minutes, thats still only 870MB. so unless you were compressing the data first... :roll:

Henk Poley
09-21-2003, 08:53 PM
hehe, actually a normal CD is for more than 3/4 filled with error correction, so I'm told by Tanenbaum. It contains about 4GB data (of which majority is ECC).

ktheking
09-24-2003, 01:40 AM
Athauglas,

I read 8 magazines on month. In 3 languages .
I buy and sell hardware for a living.
I work daytime in a onsite helpdesk preserving with 18 colleagues the good functionality of 5500 pc's in 2 26-floor office blocks and 12 stores.
I've seen all brands of writers.
For facts I can refer to you to the 2 latest magazines of CT germany (which is one the most objective magazines in europe ,they even don't mention 'best of this ...-best of that....' ) .
For the DVD-plextor writer :CT-magazine 20 ,page 126
For the last plextor cd-writer : CT-magazine 19 (here is described on how they did it to get to 1,2 Gb . They've used a special error correction technique. This means reading this 1,2Gb cd will only work from player who has this technique onboard )
Believe me, when I say ; with a plextor you can't miss...

I must say plextor is NOT the cheapest. But hey, no pain ,no gain :wink:

One day ,you will stumble on THE uncopyable cd or iso and then think of plextor....

FaRiS
09-26-2003, 04:51 AM
After wasting 8 hours in trying diferent cd writers, firmware upgrades etc I finally figured it out that there is a bug in Nero 6.0.0.15. I downloaded Nero6patch.exe and applied the patch. I have this patch, if anybody needs it let me know. I ll upload it on my FTP Server. I created the CD successfully and it works like a champ.
I have a little problem that it doesn't detect my inbuilt wireless card. I am running it on Dell Latitude C640.
Thanks for everybody for the support I got on this forum.

You can actually download the patch from these locations:

http://www.cdr.cz/files/software/Ahead/Nero60015Issue5203Patch.exe
http://www.cdgrab.hu/stuff/software/nero/6.0.0.15/Nero60015Issue5203Patch.exe
ftp://ftp6.nero.com/Nero60015Issue5203Patch.exe
http://cdgrab.hu/stuff/software/nero/6.0.0.15/Nero60015Issue5203Patch.exe

xetrex
09-26-2003, 06:32 AM
Hi,
I always in Windows mount Linux .iso files with Daemon Tools and then burn it with Nero virtual-cd to cd direct copy.
http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/daemon_tools.cfm

electronicjason
09-26-2003, 06:38 AM
I had the same problem and I downloaded the Cheetah CD burning software and it worked fine. You can download the software free at

http://download.com.com/3000-2646-10226827.html?tag=lst-0-1

Once you download and install it you just have to click on the "write" tab and then select "burn image from iso file". Then select the iso file.

Jason

dfn_doe
11-13-2003, 06:06 AM
The Nero patch posted above did the trick and my CD burned right away. Nero just pops up some sort of dialogue before it starts burning saying that it will need to finalize the disc in order for the burn to work.

Castershell
12-16-2003, 05:07 AM
I read the how-to on burning, but I use Discjuggler. I read that it should be set for a RAW burn, and DJ has that option, but what else should I check off? I dun wanna screw this up my first try. Should I just mount it with Alcohol 120% as mentioned above (though with Daemon Tools) and do cd-to-cd burn?

Zjokke
03-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Hello all,
FYI, I Have a Plextor PX708-UF and it gives exactly the same message: pops out the 700 MB cd and informs you with the message "...not enough space..."
So, it's definitely a Nero-problem.

Problems on reading of writing something ,go to a friend who has a plextor and be amazed.

I rest my case.... 8)

Zjokke
03-12-2004, 11:15 AM
Actually, I just updated my Nero 551049 (came shipped with my CD-writer) with the latest build 1056 and now everything's fine.

Cuddles
03-12-2004, 03:03 PM

I rest my case.... 8)

O M G :!:
Plextor :!:
First of all, I got "BURNED" by Plextor, and their "famous" Phase-Writer. When no one else "got-on-board" with this technology, it went the way of the DO-DO, and left me with discs that no other reader, let alone writer, could use. Then, Plextor dropped the complete line - so my "rulezzz" writer, becase a cd-player that ran at 4 speed, when every reader on the block was at least 32 speed, at the time.

You can preach all you want on "Plextor" - but "I'M" never buying a Plextor on past experiances...

Lastly, 1.2 GB is nothing - no matter if its hardware compression, or software compression - if it comes "on-board", it is only going to "LOCK" you into a pegion-hole market - and with Plextor backing it, who knows if this market is going to last very long. If no one else "backs" this market, it is going to go the way of the DO-DO too, not surprising with Plextor's past...

I don't want to pay "MORE" money for something, that if no one else "gets on board" with it, you might as well have a 8-track player, or a BETA Video Cassette Deck...

I don't want to get in a "flame-war" with you ktheking, just stating the facts... Plextor has a track record of making "new" products that "revolutionize" the Personal Computer World, and then, when enough people "buy" into it, they pull the plug and leave them stranded with worthless products that no one else can use, get, or have.

Enuf said, I rest my case,
Cuddles