PDA

View Full Version : Installing hardware drivers

dallas7
09-20-2003, 07:29 PM
Hello. I'm running 3.2-2003-07-26 on a IBM Stinkpad 570E (P3 500, 192 MB RAM). All the basics work great. Knoppix rocks.

I've got some experience in the Linux/Unix universe, but I'm a newbie to the live-CD concept and running the OS on a laptop. I'm OK with settng up my wired and 802.11b NICs and even figured out that I needed "iwconfing eth0 key restricted" to get my WPC11 to asscociate with my current .11b environment.

Now I'm wanting to test .11a wireless using my WPC51AB and found drivers for it which I downloaded and extracted to /ramdisk/knoppix/home. Everything seems to go OK until after executing "make install" writes of three .o files are attempted to //lib/modules/2.4.21-xfs/net which, of course, is the CD. That path is determined by the contents of the included makefile.inc file.

So, I guess my newb questions boil down to:

1) I'm not even sure if it's possible to install new hardware drivers into a strictly live-CD environment. If it is, what directory path is the recipient of the necessary files? I can't find anything in the forum or FAQ about that.

2) Being new to Linux laptop stuff, how do I swap network cards without having to reboot? (In searching the forum here I found one post instructing "a simple /etc/init.d/network(ing) restart is all that's needed" which just don't ring any bells over here, especially since the doesn't seem to be an init.d directory anywhere.)

Thanking you all in advance, I remain, faithfully yours,
Another Lost Geek

edgarS
09-20-2003, 08:27 PM
Iīm not sure if it is possible to add driverīs when booted from cd.

to swap network cards you can use the command ifconfig.
ifconfig eth0 down deactivates the first network device.
use the command netcardconfig to set a new network card up