PDA

View Full Version : Saving config to a floppy

extradudeguy
09-20-2003, 07:38 PM
I have searched the docs for this to no avail, probablly my fault. Anyway, how do I save my config to a floppy? I am new to knoppix. Thanks

tmo
09-20-2003, 09:22 PM
This is from the Docs area:

"Save Configuration
Saving KNOPPIX Configuration
From Computer First Aid Using Knoppix by Cedric Shock and Susan Sullivan, used with permission.

Saving configuration requires a floppy disk or a non-NTFS formatted drive.

Click on the "K" in the lower left corner of the screen. This will bring up a menu like the Windows Start Menu. Enter the "KNOPPIX" submenu. Enter the "Configure" submenu. Select "Save KNOPPIX configuration".

This will bring up a little window asking what to save. Click "OK".

The next window will ask where to save the configuration. I suggest the floppy drive. Click "Ok".

To load the configuration the next time you run Knoppix, put the floppy disk in the drive once the "boot:" prompt appears. Instead of pressing enter, type "knoppix myconfig=scan" and press enter."

This worked fine for me, except for the last step of typing "knoppix myconfig=scan". Try typing "knoppix floppyconfig" at the boot prompt. Good luck.

Leviathan
09-20-2003, 10:47 PM
I was having the same problem and I got it to work with the command: knoppix floppyconfig

However I couldn't get it to save my resolution settings. Can someone tell my how to get it to save my resolution settings. I am using a laptop and I noticed that it doesn't have a specific monitor only Monitor0. It does have 1024x768 as a resolution setting and when i change it and save my config, it keeps everything but the resolution settings. I also have tried knoppix screen=1024x768 but it doesnt work either.

Any ideas?

Pinoccio
12-14-2003, 11:33 PM
Click on the "K" in the lower left corner of the screen. This will bring up a menu like the Windows Start Menu. Enter the "KNOPPIX" submenu. Enter the "Configure" submenu. Select "Save KNOPPIX configuration".

This will bring up a little window asking what to save. Click "OK".

The next window will ask where to save the configuration. I suggest the floppy drive. Click "Ok".

And when I do this... nothing happens!! I can save files to floppy, read them, format etc... but when I want to save a configuration file just the way it's told Knoppix seems to go on strike. Absolutely NOTHING happens! What am I doing wrong???