PDA

View Full Version : Connect to a network drive w/ the Knoppix Live CD

leolaw
09-20-2003, 11:16 PM
Hi, I am using Knoppix Live CD in my school and I am trying to connect to the Network drive which is in school.

How can I mapped the network drive so I can save my work on it?

BTW, if I create a folder or a file and save it on the Desktop, will it be there next time when I boot the Knoppix? Cuz when I right click => properties, it tells me that it is on /ramdisk , So i thought that it jsut save on the RAM.

I know I can use the memory stick and floppy but I just wanna ask how the Live Distro save all kind of files.

Thank you

ktheking
09-21-2003, 02:55 PM
I had the same problem at our helpdesk which serves nationwide.
All the users are linux newbies and entering commands and doing manipulations is very hard for them. They're all windoze infected.. ;-) .
What I did :
-create a webserver on windows machine
you could use Jana Webserver (which is very simple to setup)
http://www.janaserver.de/start.php?lang=en
or create one on your knoppix (apache,or others..)
-create shellscripts to perform stuff (mappings on various drives)
-put the shellscripts on the site (for download)
what I've did to make the shellscripts startable ,was to work with desktop shortcuts.
example you created a shellscript mapdrive1.sh which does a mapping to a shared location on a server. Then created a shortcut to the program sh followed by the location of the script on the desktop.
So all what people got to do is :
1)start knoppix
2)type in the ip of your website
3)download the script of their choice to /home/knoppix/Desktop
4)download the Desktopshortcut that goes with it to /home/knoppix/Desktop
5)And now by a simple click on the desktop shortcut that appears on their desktop they can initiate the script (a mapping,starting an ftp
server,etc... )

Another solution would be that everyone has their personal home drive and settings on a usb-stick.

Another solution would be to use terminal services to boot knoppix trough bootftp. With the use of each and everyone their own remote homedrive.

You see there are enough options..