PDA

View Full Version : crystal audio CS4236

treegezer
09-21-2003, 04:37 AM
I have a Acer v58xa mother board from a old aptiva and I am trying to get knoppix to run on it. Everything went smooth except I cant get the audio to work. Kde boots and says one of two things cant open sound device or no such directory. I have run lspci and it does not seem to show up. I tried running sndconfig when it fails auto detection I try to select it from the list when it says segmentation fault and closes. I have tried alsa-autoconfig also and it says building carddatabase and closes. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

TheCyberDude
09-22-2003, 05:07 PM
Under Knoppix Sound - no cs4236 !
modprobe soundcore
modprobe cs4232

Under ALSA Sound:
modprobe snd-cs4236-lib
modprobe snd-cs4236
If modprobe doesn't work, cd /lib/modules/extra/alsa and try again.

ALSA on knoppix didn't have all the drivers I needed, so I downloaded ALSA (about 4 tar package's) and installed them in /usr/local/alsa .

http://www.internettrash.com/users/thecyberdude/TheCyberDude.gif

TheCyberDude
09-22-2003, 05:11 PM
ALSA - also modprobe snd

http://www.internettrash.com/users/thecyberdude/TheCyberDude.gif

treegezer
09-22-2003, 10:01 PM
The knoppix sound config crashes. And when I try modprobe for alsa it says cannot find module. I tried alsaconf and selecting the chip. I go through the configuration till it says no such file or directory. I tried updating the alsa packages also.

monkeyman
09-25-2003, 03:37 PM
I would strongly suggest replacing your card or onboard sound with a newer C-Media card. An OEM C-Media 8738 4 channel card costs around $12 U.S. Not only is it fully LINUX compatable - it sounds great!

treegezer
09-25-2003, 07:17 PM
I reinstalled from the knoppix cd and it worked. Odd... The only reason I am using the onboard sound is becaus its a portable Mp3 file server of types. Thanks for the suggestions.

monkeyman
09-26-2003, 06:51 PM
I reinstalled from the knoppix cd and it worked. Odd... The only reason I am using the onboard sound is becaus its a portable Mp3 file server of types. Thanks for the suggestions.

Good it worked out for you. Cheers!