PDA

View Full Version : Deafult root password

voldsmann
01-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Hi. I wonder whats the default root password on the CD is?

tuxtom
01-24-2003, 10:27 AM
No root password.
You become root either by opening a root console from menu or just issue a

$ sudo su from a console window.

tom

Wheez
04-08-2004, 11:50 AM
It still keeps asking for that fucking root\s password even i open\acces roots console or write that sudo su in the console. I cant install anything if i dont know that password.

drw766
04-08-2004, 12:31 PM
It still keeps asking for that fucking root\s password even i open\acces roots console or write that sudo su in the console. I cant install anything if i dont know that password.

You have to create a password. After becoming root in Konsole, type:

passwd

It'll then ask you for a new password, then ask you to repeat it. After that, root will have the password you assigned to it.

eco2geek
04-08-2004, 06:46 PM

All you have to do to "get root" is open up a console (e.g. by clicking on the KConsole icon in the Kicker bar at the bottom of your screen) and typing su. It doesn't ask for a password.

If you need to set a root password, as the regular ("Knoppix") user, all you have to do is type sudo passwd in a console and it will ask you to supply one. (If you're already root, omit "sudo".) After that, you can supply your newly set root password to KDE when it asks.

Note that even after setting the root password, you can still "get root" by typing su in a console. It still won't ask for a password. (Wonder if that behavior continues even after installing Knoppix to hard disk.)

PotatoHead
04-08-2004, 10:46 PM

All you have to do to "get root" is open up a console (e.g. by clicking on the KConsole icon in the Kicker bar at the bottom of your screen) and typing su. It doesn't ask for a password.

If you need to set a root password, as the regular ("Knoppix") user, all you have to do is type sudo passwd in a console and it will ask you to supply one. (If you're already root, omit "sudo".) After that, you can supply your newly set root password to KDE when it asks.

Note that even after setting the root password, you can still "get root" by typing su in a console. It still won't ask for a password. (Wonder if that behavior continues even after installing Knoppix to hard disk.)

No, it doesn't continue when installed.