PDA

View Full Version : Can't use Knoppix 3.2 on Toshiba Portege 4010

hannskis
09-21-2003, 01:09 PM
I'm using a Toshiba Portege 4010 laptop and I managed to get the CD booting from the CDROM. The problem goes like this:

After autoconfiguring devices... an error occurred (i think)...
It said:
modprobe:modprobe: can't locate module block-major-2
modprobe:modprobe: can't locate module block-major-2
Done.

Anyway, after some hardware detections, another problem occured.

It was going through the below process:

Scanning for Hardisk partitions and creating /etc/ftab...

but it just stopped from there... i can't see any lights from my cd-rom showing the CD is still booting...

Can anyone help me? Thankx

didac
09-21-2003, 02:59 PM
I installed knoppix on several laptops at this point. I had a similar problem changing from 3.1 to 3.2 on a compaq 1573. I managed to install using the noapic cheatcode.
I don't have the same problem with the latest? knoppix version (09-05) any more, but I did a bios upgrade in the mean time as well and I don't know what actually solved the problem.
On a Compaq 3020CT I prepared two partitions, one containing the KNOPPIX directory from the CD and used a floppy boot to install knoppix on the second partition. This was necessary as the 3020 does not have the ability to boot from cdrom (none included). Could be a solution as well for you when the cd driver is at fault.

hannskis
09-21-2003, 03:25 PM
then what should i do now? this is my first time doing this kinda stuffs and i don't have a floppy on my laptop

didac
09-21-2003, 04:27 PM
If your cdrom is pcmcia you're out of luck i think. Mandrake or another distro is able to handle that but as far as i know knoppix doesn't. That's why I used the two partition approach on the 3010 but I do have an external floppy drive.

If it's an internal cdrom: First of all make sure your bios is up to date, there is a new bios dated may 2003 on the toshiba site for your laptop.
If that is no option for you or it still does not make a difference try switching off things using the cheatcodes (look on the wiki or do F1 on boot) As noted previously noapic once worked for me. You can always leave out options to identify the real problem once you get past the boot problem.
Off course you can always try the cheatcode approach before updating the bios.

good luck

hannskis
09-22-2003, 01:13 AM
my laptop's CDROM is internal. Do i have to update the bios even though i'm using XP?

about the cheatcode thing, do i just type in 'noapic' after "boot:" ? and then press enter?

thankx

didac
09-22-2003, 07:46 AM
As I understand things the live cd accesses the cdrom first through the bios. If that has a problem...
Once linux starts the bios doesn't matter (as probably with xp) but you have to have things start at first and that's bios for sure.
I can not help with XP, but if in doubt(aren't we all?) the safe thing is to leave your bios alone and use the cheatcodes first. After all, knoppix is supposed to be a safe test of linux.

On booting the knoppix cd you get a knoppix logo with a : prompt at the bottom, after that type knoppix followed (with spaces in between) by any cheatcodes you like. At this point the keyboard is in us setting, so have a picture with the us key mapping ready if you are used to another layout or be ready to use trial and error untile you know the keys by heart.

First look under FAQ's and Documentation and find the section cheatcodes there. It 'll give you a much better explanation than mine.

After that KnoppixForNewBees is a good starter as well but it assumes the cd boots off course.