PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix not working on my Alienware laptop....

eLiTe-X
09-21-2003, 05:00 PM
I just got the new version 3.2 of Knoppix and I run it from the cd on my laptop, I get to the boot screen and when I use the cheatcodes, all I see is a blank screen. I tried using the code "failsafe" and all that does is say booting kernel and it stays there. I'm not sure if it's my laptop or if my drivers are not compatiable...I have an alienware area-51m with a radeon 9000, 1gig ram.

hatsoap
09-22-2003, 01:23 AM
found a similar problem with a notebook with an SIS900 LAN chip on board. Try booting Knoppix with the options "knoppix noapic" as there is a problem I believe with APIC support on SIS900 based boards.

Hope this helps! Cheers

Dave_Bechtel
09-22-2003, 08:13 AM
--also try booting with a framebuffer:
boot: ' fb1024x768 '

found a similar problem with a notebook with an SIS900 LAN chip on board. Try booting Knoppix with the options "knoppix noapic" as there is a problem I believe with APIC support on SIS900 based boards.

Hope this helps! Cheers

eLiTe-X
09-23-2003, 03:55 AM
Unfortunatly I tried all of the above and I still have no luck..maybe knoppix just isnt going to work for this laptop... :cry:

Hope this helps! Cheers

victore
11-02-2003, 08:55 AM
what alienware laptop do you have? do you have the old or new area-51m? i've got the new one (i think they call it version 2) and i am using knoppix 3.2 right now to enter this post.