PDA

View Full Version : the DCOP_server error message when login into Knoppix

mensch - maschine
09-21-2003, 07:51 PM
hey everyone - i m sure this had been posted before but i couldnt find the answer anywhere on this forum so maybe some one can help me out please cause i m gettin pretty paranoia here-

i have just installed Knoppix in my harddrive today (of course on a separate partition from my windoze system) - but when initializing the desktop at startup - after logging in to a default desktop "style" (damn, i dont know how they call it, know next to nothing about linux), the system says somethins like this:
-----------------------------
"there was an error setting up inter process communications for KDE, the message returned by the system was:Could not read network connection list /home/knoppix/.DCOPserver_(then he gives my hostname)_0 (something like that)

Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running "

---------------------------
so i have basically no knowlegde what to do here - some googling around the net didnt help that much either - meanwhille - my knoppix system is really unstable and crashing everytime i start it after using windoze - has this something to do with the message?

So can someone help me out here?
what is this message? what can i do to make me get the default style knoppix (like booted from the cd) and get my system more stable...

as i said - im getting pretty para here...

thanx!

fingers99
09-22-2003, 12:39 AM
I've only seen this error when I've logged in as someone other than root or knoppix and forgotten to create that user's home directory (but have created them as another user).