PDA

View Full Version : How to fix "Module Setting/Peripherals/kxconfig.desktop

Gulliver03
09-21-2003, 08:36 PM
.... does not specify a library.

Point is I am not able to access nor to change any graphics setting (resolution, monitor type etc.). How can I fix this?

I have tried by opening a new root console and then "kcontrol" to access this sepcific menu. It has not worked at all.

This submenu is X.out! .... no access.

thank you for any help

fingers99
09-22-2003, 12:43 AM
I'm not sure I really understand your problem -- you could be a bit more explicit.

But:

I am not able to access nor to change any graphics setting (resolution, monitor type etc.).

The usual ways to do this are either to edit XF86Config-4 by hand or run

xf86cfg

as root.

eco2geek
09-22-2003, 07:09 AM
If it's already working, it might be a good idea to make a backup copy of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 before you play with xf86cfg, just in case you can't "startx" successfully the next time.

Gulliver03
09-22-2003, 06:10 PM
Your answers basically seem to be addressing my trouble. I will try it out. Should I still come up with problems I will come back ... for sure! :D

Thank you for the moment!

Gulliver03
09-22-2003, 08:24 PM
Must come back sooner than expected. It does not work that way. After making some changes to my graphics card any attempt to save to the xf86cfg file fails even though I believe to have opened it as user "root".

When I open a new console, type "su" and then the root passwort the authentification fails obviously because of a wrong root password. But that is not right since it was the right root password I entered.

When I choose console for user "root" and then enter the root password this works but I am not able to save any change made in xf86cfg.

By the way, is not there a more comfortable way for setting the graphics card, monitor etc .... as I mentioned the KDE menu did not allow me to access this specific part of the menu (in spite of an icon a X appears before the menu description)

Any help is greatly appreciated.