PDA

View Full Version : Please explain to me something about Desktops and Apps.

estranged
09-22-2003, 09:50 AM
In knoppix for example you can install gnome applications but you dont have gnome installed.
You can do the same with KDE. Run KDE apps and at the same time not have KDE in it.

Can someone tell me if are these are certain packages that can allow you to do this and if the list is not a mile long which package allows you to do that with KDE and Gnome apps?

I hope am making sense am really sleepy.

Would glib be the lib that allows to do install and launch gnome apps with out having gnome desktop installed?

Dave_Bechtel
09-22-2003, 10:09 AM
--You may be better off asking on the respective KDE and Gnome support boards, but my guess is the kdebase-bin and -data packages. Could also be kdelibs*.

In knoppix for example you can install gnome applications but you dont have gnome installed.
You can do the same with KDE. Run KDE apps and at the same time not have KDE in it.

Can someone tell me if are these are certain packages that can allow you to do this and if the list is not a mile long which package allows you to do that with KDE and Gnome apps?

I hope am making sense am really sleepy.

Would glib be the lib that allows to do install and launch gnome apps with out having gnome desktop installed?

rickenbacherus
09-22-2003, 06:44 PM
I don't think there is a definitive answer to your question. You can simply use apt-get to install the app you want and it will tell you if any gnome or kde packages need to be installed also. Sometimes packages are built with shared libraries which would mean for example that in order to install application 'abc123' you would need to have the libraries it depends on already installed. Conversely, some packages (opera browser has one) have statically linked libraries. This enables the installation of opera on non-kde systems without installing the huge QT libraries.

estranged
09-22-2003, 07:04 PM
Hmm i see what you mean.
So its not like you can dowload a core package that will allow to run all kde or gnome related apps. It really depends on what the app needs to run.

Thank you guys.