PDA

View Full Version : No Sound from Toshiba 5005-s504

jtsai256
09-22-2003, 11:30 AM
Hello,

I am an EXTREMLEY new newbie at all of this, so bear with me.

I am using Knoppix verison 3.2 that boots from a CD-Rom. My computer is a Toshiba Satellite S5005-S504, and I have a problem with my onboard sound. I'm not quite sure what the specific problem is or how to fix it other than that the sound does not work. Has anybody else come across such a problem?

Thanks for your responses.

Fabianx
09-22-2003, 01:33 PM
Hello,

I am an EXTREMLEY new newbie at all of this, so bear with me.

I am using Knoppix verison 3.2 that boots from a CD-Rom. My computer is a Toshiba Satellite S5005-S504, and I have a problem with my onboard sound. I'm not quite sure what the specific problem is or how to fix it other than that the sound does not work. Has anybody else come across such a problem?

Thanks for your responses.

Try to boot with "knoppix alsa"

jtsai256
09-22-2003, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the tip Fabianx. Unfortunately I have no idea what that means since I'm really new at this stuff.

Stephen
09-22-2003, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the tip Fabianx. Unfortunately I have no idea what that means since I'm really new at this stuff.

When you start the CD and you get to the screen with the knoppix graphic there is a boot: prompt at the bottom of the screen this is where you would type in the knoppix alsa then enter a list other cheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) you may need.

jtsai256
09-25-2003, 10:18 PM
Thanks, Fabianx and Stephen for helping me.
The ALSA cheat code doesn't seem to work.

Supposedly sound doesn't work for this laptop because it uses ACPI to do IRQ routing. I found a linux patch for ACPI support at:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=36832

and I need help 'installing' this patch. Thanks, everybody, for your help thus far.

jtsai256
09-30-2003, 06:14 AM
Hello,
In my never ending quest for sound on my Toshiba Satellite 5005-S504 I tried ALSA at boot up. This, however, still did not work and gave me the following message:

PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pinB of device 00:1f.5. Please try using pci=biosirq
ALSA ../alsa -kernel/pci/intel8x0.c:2253: unable to grab IRQ 0
Intel ICH Soundcard not found or device busy

I then tried typing pci=biosirq at bootup but that just froze my comp. Any suggestions? Thanks.

didinward
09-30-2003, 05:52 PM
Maybe you can try to install kx into your notebook by command "knx-hdinstall", and then install a new version of alsa driver,

After booting and login, type "sndconfig" into console, choose your soundcard type. Maybe work

jtsai256
09-30-2003, 08:59 PM
I did a hd install of knoppix 3.3, and I tried the sndconfig in console, but it said that my sound card is not supported... I guess I'm out of luck... anything else I can try? Thanks everybody for helping me out. I really appreciate it.

didinward
11-02-2003, 04:15 AM
Upgrade your alsa or recompile your kernel, first, you must have a kernel source of course. Maybe it works.